Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Ping on game randomly 30 ms higher than it was the day before

AlstonG
AlstonG Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited October 23 in Gaming and Gaming Related

My ping on valorant usually runs around 20-25 ms on the server closest to me but now it has randomly increased by around 20-30 ms on all servers except one which has increased by about 10 ms. The server closest to me now has a higher ms than one much farther from me. Is there a fix for this?

I reached out to support for the game and they said that spectrum is having issues with routing to their servers and this is part of the response they sent “If you need help on how to approach them about the situation, you can ask for routing, and it's a good idea to ask your ISP to assign you a static IP address if possible, and you'll need to ask them to check if you're getting a consistent public IP with all your internet-bound traffic, regardless of protocols.

Additionally, you can try asking for a Tier 2 or a specialized agent, as they should be able to find the root of the problem more easily.

In case your ISP needs all the details about the route we're using, please provide them with our PeeringDB page and suggest they reach out directly.”

Can someone help with this?

Best Answer

• Mo_S
    Mo_S Posts: 129 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

@AlstonG,

Hello and welcome to the community.

Reviewing your connection, there are some concerns with the signal levels reported by your modem. We would suggest having a technician scheduled to investigate and resolve these issues. We can set that up for the first available which you'd be able to reschedule through our app or website, or you can give us a call if you'd like to arrange a visit.

Aside from that, based on your area, it's possible routing has changed due to impacts from Helene. A more preferred router may not be available. When possible, can you complete a traceroute to the impacted server, the one showing a lower time as well as another major site such as Google and post results here? If possible, also try a continuous ping test to each for a few minutes with no other devices in use.

Answers

• randomdays
    randomdays Posts: 2 Newcomer

Same issue here, linked is: (1; a screenshot of my current tracert to a gaming server I've confirmed previously to get 30ms, 2; Google's public DNS in Chicago, the same location as Server 1)
    Previously getting ~30ms ping, servers which previously got ~50ms ping now get 70ms. An extra 20ms doesn't seem like much, but it does make a noticeable difference when playing faster paced games.

Noticed this starting around the 16th or 17th mid afternoon.

• randomdays
    randomdays Posts: 2 Newcomer

FIXED