You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

How can I change my public IP address?

charlie750
charlie750 Posts: 14 Newcomer

I'm wondering if it's possible to change the ip address that shows up when I type "whats my IP" into google. I've tried a few diferent things and nothing seems to be working. Only thing I havn't tried it unplugging my modem for like 24 hours but havne't really had the oppertunity to go without internet for that long.

Does anyone have a way to do this if it's even possible with spectrum?

Comments

• rocketjetz
    rocketjetz Posts: 161 Contributor
    well you can pay Spectrum to assign you an external static Ip....or you can use a vpn which will mask/anonymize your external ip. Why do you want to change your external Ip?
  • egk
    egk Posts: 70 Contributor

It's easy if you have your own router or can use a different computer to connect to the modem.

Obviously this depends on your brand and model of router and doesn't work if you have a combo unit from the cable company.   Search for your router model on google for how to change the MAC address.

Log in to your router and unplug the cable modem.   Find the option in the router to change or clone the MAC address.   The MAC is what the modem binds to.    Copy the MAC address it's using and save it somewhere so you can use it to change IP again.    Next  change the MAC address to something else like the one your computer's network card is using.   Often there is an option called something like "clone pc MAC".    On Windows you can find your network card's MAC from a command prompt by typing ipconfig/all    It's the "physical address".

Once you get the router's MAC changed, reboot the router and turn the cable modem back on.   The modem will see the new MAC as a different device and issue you a new IP.

All the above may sound convoluted but once you do it a couple of times it's easy and there's no need to unplug cables.   

Another method to get a new IP is to turn off the modem and plug the modem's cable in to a different computer then turn it back on again.    Again, it pics up the new device's MAC address and issues a new IP.    The problem with this method is if you then reconnect to the original device, it may or may not issue you the same IP you had before.  Usually it gives a new one if you wait a bit.

This discussion has been closed.