You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

IPv6 Internet Connectivity Issue

ibane
ibane Posts: 7 Newcomer
edited September 2022 in Legacy TWC Archives: 2013- 2020

Hello,

Yesterday,  i received an ARRIS SBG6950AC2 modem/router that was purchased from Amazon.  Spectrum support was able to activate the modem/router without a problem.  The cable/internet are working properly, but noticed that IPv6 internet protocol was not working.  Ran an IPv6 test on the internet and came back that we did not have connectivity, only IPv4 on all devices.

After several hours talking to Spectrum/ARRIS support,  I  realized that neither would be able to resolve the problem.  ARRIS said the problem could only be resolved by Spectrum support because it was an IPv6 issue.  Spectrum support told me that they could not help because it was modem/router owned not leased.

Unfortunately, i will probably have to return the ARRIS Surfboard modem/router.  I am hoping that someone who has the same model could offer any advice on how to get IPv6 internet connectivity to work before returning it.  I did do a factory reset, but still have no IPv6 internet connectivity.  I also upgraded to the Ultra 300 mps package.

Thank you for any help in resolving this matter.

Best Regards,

hTj

Best Answer

• karlbeckman
    karlbeckman Posts: 2,285 Contributor
    Answer ✓

Spectrum's internet transport is IPv4 and their dual-mode DNS server farms at 209.18.47.61 & 62 will accomodate customers using IPv6 routers on their home LANs.  However, it's still an IPv4 network.  As noted, Spectrum does NOT provide any technical support for equipment purchased or otherwise provided by the subscriber.  You are responsible for making it work without interfering with service or functionality of any other users. 

Answers

• ibane
    To whom it may concern:

The SURFboard SBG6950AC2 is modem/router that is minimally supported by Spectrum Network as by the Authorized Modems to Use on the Spectrum Network list provided by Julia R. Lead Moderator.

Below are the Minimally Qualified Modems that have passed the limited no-harms certification testing.

• Arris SBG6950AC2
    Minimally Qualified Modems

You may also choose to buy a modem that has passed minimal testing to confirm that it won't cause harm to our network. Though permitted for use on our network, we recommend against using Minimally Qualified Modems because they haven't been tested to confirm their ability to deliver your purchased internet service speed.

Note: If you attempt to install your own device from our authorized modems list that doesn't meet the speed tier you ordered or if we can't determine the device qualification, you'll get a message that notifies you of this, and you'll be asked to acknowledge this before you proceed.

Best Regards,

hTJ

• ibane

Update:

There are two lists titled "Authorized Modem  to use on the Spectrum Network" compiled by community leaders on the forum.  However, there is an approved list compiled by Spectrum Support updated 3/27/20 detailed by internet  tier speeds (Mbps).  According to Spectrum Support Arris SURFboard SBG6950AC is compatible with the Spectrum Network.

Link: https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-and-non-compliant-modemsgateways-charters-network/

Disclaimer by Spectrum Support on recommended modems:
    Modems listed here can be used on the Spectrum network. However, only Spectrum-provided equipment is supported by our technicians. View the current list of Spectrum-provided equipment.

• ibane

Mr. Karlbeckman

Yes, i had seen that information on the internet while searching for a solution. That is how i ended up in the Spectrum Community forum.  I tried following the link and was denied access yesterday because , "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action"  on the forum.

I would like to follow the thread , https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/IPv6/Spectrum-IPv6-DNS-Issue/td-p/153284, to see the complete thread.  I am not sure how i get sufficient privileges to view that thread.

I did find another thread that addess the IPv6 DNS issue, https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1964739-dns-issues-with-ipv6.  I need to read some more and see if we can figure it out.  However, it may be beyond my technical skill level.

I do appreciate your response and wil focus my search on the IPv6 DNS issue as you pointed out.  Thank you.

Best Regards,

hTJ

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor
    Just to rule them out, have you confirmed it is enabled in the router's WAN or IPv6 settings, as well as in your Windows TCP/IP settings?
  • ibane

Mr. RAIST5150,

Yes, they were enabled (checked) on both Windows and the Router.  On the router settings for the WAN ,  the IP address(s) is blank on the IPv6 settings.  It did not generate automatically an IP address(s).  On the Windows PCs, it  generated a local IPv6 address on all the devices connected to the Home Network.

The router needs to be configured as to be able to generate and IPv6 address(s).  I think there lies the problem. It needs to preconfigured. I do not know why it did not automatically configured it when it was activated on the Spectrum Network.  It may have to be done by the user as it owner based router not leased.

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

Best regards

hTJ

• karlbeckman
    karlbeckman Posts: 2,285 Contributor

Spectrum's internet transport network uses IPv4.  If you purchase equipment to utilize IPv6 on your home LAN, or to communicate with another customer on Spectrum's network who uses only IPv6, you are responsible for programming your router unit. 

On the other hand, if you are trying to reach an IPv6 address somewhere out on the worldwide web (which is beyond the edge of Spectrum's transport) and they are not visible to Spectrum's dual-mode DNS servers, that is a connection issue for the site you want to communicate with.  

• ibane

Mr.  Karlbeckman,

Router was bought by my son for gaming, replace separte older modem/router provided by Spectrum, and  to stop paying monthly fee.  I tried your suggesting by adding the two DNS Servers IP address and checked the box to automatic generate an IPv6 address on the router settings.  On the Windows PC Network properties is  also enable to generate automatic IPv6 address.

I am still showing no IPv6 network access.  On the Network properties it shows IPv4 address and the two DNS servers IP address.  It works with the leased Spectrum Modem/router, however.  I do not think that not having IPv6  connectivity affects performance, but is problematic on websites that are using that protocol as you mentioned.   I just do not know exactly how to configure the DNS servers address on the router.  Thank you again for your insight.

Best Regard

hTJ

• ibane

FYI,

IPv6  Test Score:

0/10for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

It does matter in the not too distant future your IPv6 connectivity.  Going back to using the Spectrum Modem/router.

This discussion has been closed.