You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Update Resolution Message

eznoh
eznoh Posts: 42 Contributor

Most every day when I turn on my Samsung TV and Spectrum DVR I get a message asking me if I want to update the resolution on the TV. It is alreadt set to the highest resolution but I select the "update" button and it supposedly updates the resolution, there is no actual change in the resolution and the next day I get the same message again. How can I get rid on this annoying message?

Mike

Comments

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor

@eznoh wrote:

Most every day when I turn on my Samsung TV and Spectrum DVR I get a message asking me if I want to update the resolution on the TV. It is alreadt set to the highest resolution but I select the "update" button and it supposedly updates the resolution, there is no actual change in the resolution and the next day I get the same message again. How can I get rid on this annoying message?

Mike

Hi Mike,

First option would be a cold reboot of the box. Power off everything  and than unplug the box. Unplug your receiver for one minute and than plug it back in allowing the system to reboot,

If this does not fix the error message, or the message comes back, please post if you can, the make and model of your cable box and the type of guide that you have, as well as a screenshot of what you are seeing.

The following link will help determine the type of guide software that is on your cable box:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/which-guide-do-i-have-t?redirected=true

Satch

• eznoh

No it's by the DVR.

• Satch

@eznoh wrote:

No it's by the DVR.

Thanks for this info,

Please give us the make and model of the DVR, and use the above link to determine your guide software. A screenshot showing the message will help as well,

Regards,

Satch

• eznoh

It wasn't happening as often as I thought ... here are screenshots for the message and system info.IMG_20200511_113924.jpgIMG_20200508_092528.jpgIMG_20200508_092435.jpg

• Satch

@eznoh wrote:

It wasn't happening as often as I thought ... here are screenshots for the message and system info.IMG_20200511_113924.jpgIMG_20200508_092528.jpgIMG_20200508_092435.jpg

Hi,

Not coming through, are these traditional JPeg images?

Satch

• eznoh

You might need to sign in. I just looked my post and the images were not displayed, signed in and they showed up.

Mike

• Jkosar
    Jkosar Posts: 3 Newcomer

I get the same message. I select update and my resolution changes to 1080P.  I verify this by checking my TV display options. It is indeed 1080p.  And it's noticeable. Normally in settings I only have up to 1080i. 
    But this message doesn't appear every time. 
    Also, Sometimes when the full guide isn't working I get  an options to select the mini quick guide for settings. This guide gives me options for 1080p 1080i and 720 p. But I get only access to this guide when the standard full guide is unavailable for whatever reason.  
    Why is 1080p only available in these two options, that are not regularly available?

Thanks 

• Julia_R
    Julia_R Posts: 4,661 Contributor

Does this box do this if connected to another TV> If you have multiple boxes do you see this happen on other boxes?

Has the cable box been powercycled recently to rule that out? 

Julia 

• Jkosar

My sony bravia 4K has the message appear after the box has been off for a while. If Im quick enough I can select to accept the higher resolution, otherwise if vanishes quickly.   But if i shut the tv off and then back on the message will not appear and I am back to  720p.

My LG 1080P has asked once and the resloution according to the TV itself has reamined 1080P.

I have repowered/rebooted the box.  

I dont mind getting the message, as I prefer 1080P..Its just that I want it to default to 1080P and I cant seem to do that.

Thanks! 

• Julia_R

To access Video Settings:

1. Press the Menu key on your remote.
    2. Select Settings & Support.
    3. Choose Preferences.
    4. Select Audio & Video.
    5. Go to Video and press OK/Select on your remote. From here, you can access:
      • Video Format: Select the screen resolution that’s best for your TV.
      • HD box on SDTV Aspect Ratio: Choose from Letterbox or Zoom.
      • SD box on HD Aspect Ratio: Choose from Pillar Bars or Stretch.
    6. Highlight Save and press OK/Select on your remote.

Is that what you had done previously?  We would be looking to change the video format. 

Julia 

• eznoh

I have done that, I set it to the highest resolution but in a couple of days I get the message again. 

• Jkosar

I've done all that. However..in the settings,  there is no 1080P option. It seems its only available when this message appears upon startup or  within the quick setting menu, which i can only access when the standard guide is not available.   It is not an option in the standard menu.

Why isn't 1080p a standard option if its obvioulsy available???

Thanks!!!

• Julia_R

I am unsure why it would not auto set.

One thought is that it depends on the programming you are viewing. If something is not available in that format perhaps it in a sense downgrades, when something then comes on which is broadcast in a higher resolution it asks. 

Have you swapped out HDMI cables between the TVs?

Perhaps there is a communication issue with the TV not always offering that option so the box detects the changes and reverts to the lower resolution? 

I am sorry I do not have any further information on this available. 

Julia 

• eznoh

The interesting thing is the resolution never changes if I select update or cancel.

• eznoh

The resolution never actually changes whether I select update or cancel. Not going to swap cables just to get rid of an annoying message that comes up every 3 days or so.

This discussion has been closed.