You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

HBO Max Launches Today! (Free With HBO) On Spectrum

Satch
Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor

Guys,

Today, HBO Max launches! This is a new streaming service, and to get it for free on Spectrum, you just need to subscribe to HBO. The thing is this is NOT just another HBO sub channel. Deals have been launched with many other companies like MGM, Warner Brothers, Hanna Barbara to provide a very extensive library of movies, series/sitcoms, and original shows. Other companies may be launching shows on the service as well. More info here:

https://www.hbomax.com/

If you already have HBO and an online Spectrum Billing Account, just log in to the site using that information. Contact Spectrum for any first year deals. So this might be a good time to at least try HBO for a year if you don't already have the channel to get HBO Max for free.

Satch

Best Answer

• falcon04
    falcon04 Posts: 19 Participant
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for all your help. The problem was compatibility - both Samsungs were bought @ Costco. Although they were produced and sold within the time constraints for HBO MAX, they were in essence "last years models" on the cusp - overlapping the newer models which would work with HBO MAX. The newer models were way more expensive than the deep discount being offered for the ones I bought, and picture wise they were too close to bother. Hopefully, HBO will introduce apps to handle these sets, as I have a feeling that a huge number of potential customers have them, as Costco, Walmart, and Sams sold a bunch. ( sets: UN55J6201AF and UN40H5201AF ) BTW, your pics show the newer screens display, but a non-Smart remote. Source in my Smart remote only works for the external device input(s), and has no effect on the apps - which is whyI was confused.

Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,610 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Thanks, @Satch ! 

I added the app to my iPhone and Samsung TV and found the process pretty easy.  There is definitely a lot of great content! 

• Satch

Guys,

I was asked if Spectrum is providing any one year promotions for people who don't have HBO and just want HBO Max for less than $14.99.  This opens up three potential options:

1.) You can call Spectrum and ask the rep if you don't have HBO, could you get HBO Max for a lesser price for a year? ( I would estimate maybe you could it for around $11 for 12 months.)

2.) If you have CATV already, ask if you could get a deal on HBO for a year. (HBO Max is than free for you, even after the year expires.)

3.) With CATV, ask about deals for the Spectrum Silver and/or Spectrum Gold Plan, These packages have HBO already in them, so you would get HBO Max for free, and potentially a one year deal on Spectrum Silver and Gold packages.

Satch

• Satch

Guys,

I heard that if you have HBO Now/HBO GO, that HBO Max is going to be offered through an automatic update on your mobile device.  (Everything on HBO Now/HBO GO is already on HBO Max) HBO Max has so much more content.

But some have suggested to manually remove the HBO Now and HBO Go apps if you have them, and than install HBO Max on your device. They said that if you don't, you might have trouble installing and activating HBO Max.

Satch

• falcon04
    I have 2 Samsung SMART TV's, both of which get Amazon Prime and Netflix via their respective Apps, ( and have a huge list of other Apps available) - and are new enough to get more than I will ever need. BUT: I have an HBO subscription, and I have the Apps set to automatically update, but the HBO MAX App has not shown up yet - Only HBO GO is in the 100 + list when I list the video Apps. Am I doing something incorrectly or has Samsung simply not added the App to its list ? How did you do it? TIA
  • James_M

@falcon04 wrote:
    I have 2 Samsung SMART TV's, both of which get Amazon Prime and Netflix via their respective Apps, ( and have a huge list of other Apps available) - and are new enough to get more than I will ever need. BUT: I have an HBO subscription, and I have the Apps set to automatically update, but the HBO MAX App has not shown up yet - Only HBO GO is in the 100 + list when I list the video Apps. Am I doing something incorrectly or has Samsung simply not added the App to its list ? How did you do it? TIA

@falcon04 , 

For HBO MAX on Samsung TV, the authentication is a two step verification process. You need to launch the app, then authenticate on a mobile device or laptop.   

To get started,  select source, then search and enter HBO MAX.  You will get an alphanumeric code on the TV screen.  Then go to https://www.hbomax.com/ and sign in.  Select "sign in through TV", then follow the steps to authenticate.  Enter the alphanumeric code from your TV when prompted and you should be set.   Let us know if you have trouble logging in.  

• Satch

@James_M wrote:

@falcon04 wrote:

@falcon04 , 

For HBO MAX on Samsung TV, the authentication is a two step verification process. You need to launch the app, then authenticate on a mobile device or laptop.   

To get started,  select source, then search and enter HBO MAX.  You will get an alphanumeric code on the TV screen.  Then go to https://www.hbomax.com/ and sign in.  Select "sign in through TV", then follow the steps to authenticate.  Enter the alphanumeric code from your TV when prompted and you should be set.   Let us know if you have trouble logging in.  

Also on HBO Max,

If you have an old crappy computer meaning low on RAM. (At least 8 GB of RAM is recommended,) you will very likely have problems with HBO Max, where the video will not play at all (Microsoft Edge) or will sputter (Firefox.)  I know this because I have a crappy $300 4K RAM laptop that can do the basics like Internet browsing and You Tube videos.  But no streaming. Laptop can't do Flash videos either from Spectrum TV.) (If someone streams like on You Tube, no problems.)  In contrast, my desktop works flawlessly.

I contacted HBO Max's Customer Support Feedback on Twitter, (Offered 24x7 btw) asking them to provide a playback option that will downscale the resolution of the videos, so that older computers low on RAM, or cheap systems that don't have the graphics card hardware functionality to do the HD videos can still view them. They said they will pass this along to the development team. Here is a Twitter link to HBO Max Customer Care:

https://twitter.com/HBOMaxHelp

As it stands now, you will need a computer with 8GB RAM or higher supporting strong graphics card to watch,  My desktop from 2015 has 8GB of RAM handles HBO Max like a dream.  My 4GB RAM laptop can't do it. So you may want to check the RAM in your computer.  if you are having problems, and maybe also ask HBO MAX help to provide a resolution  downsizing option for the videos, so that older and cheaper PC's can handle the content.

Satch

• falcon04
    I get all that, but the HBO MAX app does not show up in the list of available apps on my post 2016 Samsung Smart TV. Only HBO GO is listed if I search for the app. I already get HBO in my package from Spectrum. I have always started new apps via the TV interface, and I understand the 2 step process - in fact I successfully did this yesterday with HBO GO just to refresh my memory. How do I find the HBO MAX app ?
  • James_M

@falcon04 wrote:
    I get all that, but the HBO MAX app does not show up in the list of available apps on my post 2016 Samsung Smart TV. Only HBO GO is listed if I search for the app. I already get HBO in my package from Spectrum. I have always started new apps via the TV interface, and I understand the 2 step process - in fact I successfully did this yesterday with HBO GO just to refresh my memory. How do I find the HBO MAX app ?

@falcon04 , 

Did you select source, then search and type "HBO MAX"? 

• falcon04
    (1) I don't have HBO NOW - get HBO direct from Spectrum as part of my cable package.I do have the HBO GO app loaded, FWIW. (2) I don't know what you mean by "source" - I'm going to the apps list via the Smart Hub on my remote. Perhaps Samsung has not updated their apps list - I have auto update on for both the TV firmware and the Smart Hub. I'll try to get thru to Samsung. ( Lord, please don't make me call Spectrum !!! )
  • James_M

On your Samsung TV remote, source is on the upper right corner, opposite the power button.   After selecting source, select search (magnifying glass), then type in using the arrows of the remote to navigate the keyboard on the screen "HBO MAX"

You can also check to ensure your TV is compatible at this link:  https://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app/G16040006493

Samsung remote.jpgselect-settings.jfif

• Anony
    Anony Posts: 1 Newcomer

I'm having trouble logging into HBO Max. I'm a Spectrum cable customer and subscribe to HBO. I've downloaded the HBO Max app to my Apple TV, gotten the onscreen alphanumeric code, and entered the code on the HBO Max activation website. But when I select Spectrum as my service provider, nothing happens. Eventually, there is a time-out error.

I've tried this several times, on my iPhone, on my computer, using Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. The result is the same: nothing. Any ideas?

• James_M

@Anony wrote:

I'm having trouble logging into HBO Max. I'm a Spectrum cable customer and subscribe to HBO. I've downloaded the HBO Max app to my Apple TV, gotten the onscreen alphanumeric code, and entered the code on the HBO Max activation website. But when I select Spectrum as my service provider, nothing happens. Eventually, there is a time-out error.

I've tried this several times, on my iPhone, on my computer, using Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. The result is the same: nothing. Any ideas?

@Anony , 

Sounds like an issue with the website.  If you are still having an issue, I suggest contacting HBO MAX support directly on Twitter at https://twitter.com/HBOMaxHelp/

• Satch

Two things that I would add to HBO Max:

1.) Option to select screen resolution for downsizing-Helpful for computers or mobile systems that are old and don't have the RAM for the HD output to provide a better streaming experience.

2.) Right now, the user circles need some kind of cool graphics indicator to liven them up a bit. As it stands,one user, looks just like any other user. See here for example: »smartphones.gadgethacks. ··· 0311756/

If you have a Twitter account send feedback to @HBOMaxHelp Main Twitter Hashtag is #HBOMax.

Satch

• ant
    ant Posts: 690 Newcomer

Its iOS app says "Spectrum> App Unavailable -- To use this app, please sign in with your Spectrum TV primary account. Visit www.spectrum.net/hbomax for more info. ELI-1020". http://i.imgur.com/h9DgoFf.png for its screen shot/capture.

It wasn't like that last week. Its web page says: "How to Watch

Download the HBO Max app on your Apple or Android device, or visit from your browser. Just sign in with your Primary Spectrum account ID and password to get started."

This is disappointing since I want to use my own account under the primary account. Smiley Sad

• Satch

Guys,

A Windows 10 Update and/or HBO Max must have pushed out a fix because I can now get HBO Max on my laptop on Microsoft Edge Chromium! Make sure Hardware Acceleration is turned on in Edge, and you may need to clear your cache and reboot your PC to get it working,

It still sputters on Firefox, but I don't care as long as I now have it on both my Windows 10 desktop and Windows 10 Laptop. I don't have Google Chrome installed, But MS Edge Chromium is based off of Google Chrome, so Chrome should work. All you need is HBO in your Spectrum plan to get HBO Max. Than, go to HBO Max and log in with the same user name and password that you use at our Spectrum Community Forum.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.