You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

tomseynyc
tomseynyc Posts: 64 Participant

Hi . So out of the blue I received a new modem and router from Spectrum yesterday.  I had no other warning that my ubee modem needed to be replaced or else service would be lost in a week or so. I hooked it up last night and everything seems to be working okay for the most part.

The new modem is model Hitron E31N2V1 . Here is the manual for it:

https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/Charter%20D31%20eMTA%20-%20E31N2V1%20User%20Guide.pdf

When I try to log into the modem GUI using 192.168.100.1, nothing happens. I'd like to log in so i can adjust the wifi channels. My roku is using channel 1 and seems to be getting only 13 MBPS while everything else on wi-fi gets 220 MBPS. I'd like to adjust the channel to see if I can improve the roku situation.

Is it possible to log into this modem?  If not, is it possible to change the channels? Thanks.

Best Answer

• doppleganger
    doppleganger Posts: 17 Participant
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can use your own router instead of the Spectrum supplied one and save $5 a month. Routers are pretty simple to setup and you wouldn’t have to rely on Spectrum to manage it for you.

Any basic 801.11ac that can handle your speed tier would be fine.

Answers

• doppleganger
    That Hitron modem is just that...a modem. It is not a router so you wouldn’t be able to adjust any WiFi channels on it. Before you got the Hitron, did you have a combination modem/router?
  • tomseynyc

Yes I had a ubee modem/router combination. Now i have the modem and a separate Spectrum router. Would I need to log into the router then? Also, can one log into the modem as shown in manual?

• doppleganger
    Yes if you want to change your channels you’ll need to login into the router.

In my experience you are not able to log into the modem GUI. I used to have the Technicolor version of that same modem (E31T2V1) and I was not able to access. It drove me crazy so I went out and bought my own.
  • tomseynyc

Here is the 802.11ac Wave 2 Router manual:

https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/RAC2V1K%20User%20Guide%20072817%20Askey_0.pdf

But the url is not working either.

http://192.168.1.1

It just gives me basic router info instead of login.

• tomseynyc
    Can i use my own router instead of the Spectrum router? If that is ok, should I get a specific one with specific capabilities?
  • tomseynyc

I just noticed on my bill a $5 charge for Wi-Fi service. Is that a $5 charge for the router? A router that  I can't even log into?

If I get my own router and return the Wave 2 to Spectrum will this $5 charge go away?

Added:  I spoke with a Spectrum rep via chat. The rep said that the Wave 2 router may not allow access/login since there have been connectivity issues when they have allowed that in the past...  I can use another router and return other one and no longer be charged $5 but they can't guarantee it will configure correctly.

All of my Wi-Fi connected laptops are getting very good speeds - 220+ mbps download ..about the same as my ethernet connected one.  it's just the roku box that gets much slower speeds. I've read that it may be an issue with Roku. I'd love to test the Amazon fire stick but it looks like it doesn't have the spectrum app.

I've read of people who bought the Roku box with ethernet connection but some say they still have slow speed issues.  I guess I'll see what I can do in this area since after reading a bit the issue may be Roku or some kind of Roku/Spectrum issue.

• tomseynyc
    Thanks doppleganger.
This discussion has been closed.