You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Does the Sagemcom SAC2V2S have 2.4 GHz and 5GHz? How do I turn them on?

Yish
Yish Posts: 4 Spectator

I went to Spectrum and exchanged my router to one that they tell me is the most recent router available. I have the Sagemcom SAC2V2S and all the router configuration and settings are done by the spectrum app. The first thing I noticed when I installed this router is that I only saw one network. My older router had 2 networks one had 2G in its name and the other one had 5G. I am looking through the app trying to figure out how to turn on the other network but there is no setting for that. Does the Sagemcom SAC2V2S have both 2GHz and 5GHz? How do I enable them because some of my devices only accept 2G?

Best Answers

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 644 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Welcome Yish!

The SAC2V2S router does have both 2G and 5G enabled, but it doesn't differentiate between them in the network name so that devices that are capable of using both networks can switch between them depending on which has the better signal in the home or if one is out of range without you having to manually swap networks. If the device is only capable of using the 2G it will automatically connect to the 2G network without any setup on your end.

Answers

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor

No experience with the new Sagecoms... but, you mentioned using an app... are you using a phone app or logging into the router directly? (ie, pointing a browser to an address like 192.168.1.1).

Older models had separate sections/pages for each band when you used the browser interface.

• Renee_T

@RAIST5150

Hi! The new SAC2V2S are part of our Advanced In Home WiFi system, so they don't have the router interface like you're used to seeing since it can only be accessed via the My Spectrum app. The network name and password can be viewed from there but it doesn't separate the 2G/5G networks or allow you to name them differently. You can drill down in the menus to see which device is connected to which network at any given time though.

• Tyleen_Z
    Tyleen_Z Posts: 660 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

@RAIST5150

Hello, our newer routers still have the 2/5g networks they just aren't broadcast separately. The router itself chooses the best network for the device between the two to ensure all devices have the most optimized connection.

• Yish
    edited September 2020

My devices (Roku, wifi cameras) that can only connect to 2.4g networks are getting disconnected constantly. Only my 5g capable devices have internet right now. so this mesh network on this new router is not working for me. The SSID wont even show up anymore when im trying to reconnect those devices. What can I do to fix this without going back to spectrum and demanding my old router back?

• markandrewpowell
    markandrewpowell Posts: 1 Newcomer

Im in the same situation as the poster above. Several of my devices only connect to 2.4Ghz and are constantly disconnecting/reconnecting. I want and need to be able to setup separate 2.4 and %Ghz networks in my home as I've had for the last several years.

Now I change the modem and router at Spectrum's request and half of my devices are unusable.

I need the router setup log in page back as before.

• Julia_R
    Julia_R Posts: 4,661 Contributor

I am sorry, we are not able to provide the same options with the new routers. These routers

by nature are set to do that handoff to the strongest connection. I know this is a frustration for some users.

If the router is not providing the options you are needing, you are not obligated to use the Spectrum router. Many people find that owning their own routers better suits their home network/needs.

Julia_R

• stockgro
    stockgro Posts: 1 Newcomer

how do you determine which devices are connected to the 2g vs 5g connection

• Renee_T

Welcome stockgro!

In the My Spectrum app, if you go to the Services and Equipment Tab, under Internet, you'll see a WIFI section with an option that says Manage Devices. If you press on that, it will list the devices that are currently connected. If you tap the device, it will bring up more information and show if it is connected to the 2.4G or 5G network.

• Yish

@ Renee_T No it does not tell you if it is connected to 2.4G or 5G. After you tap the device the only two options left are Edit Device Name and View Device Info. When you go to View Device Info the only information you get is your IP Address, Hostname, MAC Address, and Connection Type. Under Connection Type it will just say Wifi or Wired.

• deankensler
    deankensler Posts: 4 Spectator

I Have the SAC2V2S and I am having the EXACT same issue with the network!! MOREOVER when on my laptop (or the iphone) clicking on device>get more info shows model RAC2V1S (which looks identical) and that set me back at least 45minutes thinking there was something I had done wrong...In the manual it clearly states 1) Go to http://192.168.1.1 2. Enter the router login username and password listed on the back of the router. (You can change this later.) The default username and password are as follows: Username: admin Password: admin The router’s home page (or dashboard) will load after a few seconds. WHICH IT DOES NOT!! When I called spectrum the guy was nice enough to tell me that it does not broadcast seperately, and THERE IS NO USER INTERFACE via computer.

If Spectrum did not have a MONOPOLY on 21st street, Manhattan I would have switched to a different company, but I am STUCK with Sub-par service and outrageous price gouging.

Thanks Spectrum

• Renee_T

Hi deankensler,

I am sorry for any confusion experienced with the user manual and how our equipment is set up. With the SAC2V2S routers, you do have more detailed network information available to you via the My Spectrum app, but the set up does not allow direct access to the router interface. If additional customization is needed beyond what is provided in the My Spectrum app, you are always welcome to use your own router and this would also eliminate the $5 monthly WiFi charge on the account as well.

• deankensler
    deankensler Posts: 4 Spectator

I was told that the $5 monthly fee was waived (for this promotion for the next year) and the my spectrum app does not give the info that one needs to set up a custom network. Thank You but if I switch anything it will be providers - which as you know I cannot do because of the monopoly that Spectrum has on most of Manhattan.

• mikealan
    mikealan Posts: 1 Newcomer

See the similar disheartening comments at https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/h9gtan/spectrum_sac2v2s_locked_down/

I spoke to spectrum support today and the tech was baffled and could find no information on the SAC2V2S being locked down whereas the RAC2V2S supposedly is not. He said if three factory resets do not fix the problem go exchange it at the Spectrum store, More to come

• Renee_T

Hi @mikealan

I'm sorry to hear the agent you spoke with didn't know that the login directly to the SAC2V2S is disabled. It is true that you can log in to the RAC2V2S directly, but not the SAC2V2S. Factory resetting this will not enable the feature and exchanging it will not change that either, you would need to use the options provided in the My Spectrum app.

• Yish

I was ok with being locked out at first. But the SAC2V2S is a really bad router and I have to keep resetting it to reconnect all my devices that could only connect to 2.4 Ghz. Buying your own router cost a lot of money and if spectrum can't give us access back to the SAC2V2S or fix the connection problems with the SAC2V2S I think I will just switch internet providers. There are so many complaints about the SAC2V2S and spectrum isn't doing anything about it

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor
    edited September 2020

?? A lot of money to buy your own router?

You pay $60/year to use Spectrum's router.

Not sure where you are shopping for routers... but you can get decent routers for around that price point at places like Walmart or Amazon. AC-1200 to AC-1900 class routers all over the place in the $50-70 price range.

This discussion has been closed.