You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Port forwarding not working

Bobbie_Comeaux
Bobbie_Comeaux Posts: 4 Spectator

I have the SAC2V2S router from spectrum and I have added the port forwarding rule through the My Spectrum app, but when I try to host a server on that port it cannot be accessed from outside the local network. I have also used a port forwarding tester to check, but it shows the port in question as closed.

I have tried resetting the router after adding the port forwarding rule as well as setting the router to factory settings and adding the rule after that but the port remains closed.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• karlbeckman
    karlbeckman Posts: 2,285 Contributor
    Answer ✓

A server which resides on your own LAN CANNOT be accessed from the LAN side of your modem. You must use an external internet connection that does NOT run through the same modem. A an example, your smartphone will work but only when it's not running on your WiFi. This is a fundamental addressing limitation of all home internet connections. Unfortunately the folks selling doorbell cams and other home security video forget to explain that it their brochures. The same applies to some internet gaming apps that suffer from poor performance when running over large shared cable networks.

• Bobbie_Comeaux
    Bobbie_Comeaux Posts: 4 Spectator
    Answer ✓

Thank you shane523 for reading the post fully.

Yes, the port is open with Windows Firewall rules. I just confirmed that.

I have been able to host this server in the past with no trouble, but then Spectrum had to give us this locked down router when we canceled and reopened our internet after a hurricane that took down our internet line for two months before they would fix it. This is why I am beginning to assume it's a problem with the router.

Answers

• shane523
    shane523 Posts: 47 Contributor

This isn't true. I have a server on my LAN that hosts my music and I can access it from WAN and LAN without any changes to connect. I believe you need to look in to Hairpin NAT.

If you read their post, if they have their port forward to that host setup and it cannot be reached from outside the LAN, it has nothing to do with your answer.

Is the port open on the host (Windows Firewall for example)?

This discussion has been closed.