You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

My Spectrum App - What is Customized Device Agreement? - Answered

Skittles
Skittles Posts: 1 Newcomer

Customized Device Agreement shows up whenever I try to sign in and claims I am using a device that is rooted, jailbroken and/or USB debugging mode is on. I have none of these done to my phone. Please help.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,610 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Sorry for the frustration, what is the device and OS you are using when you get the error message?

• Mag_1
    Mag_1 Posts: 0 Newcomer

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I was using the spectrum app just fine. Then recently I got the customized device pop-up. My phone is none of the things they have listed on the pop-up and I don't know what's going on or what to do. Please help.

• jimm45h78vb
    jimm45h78vb Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am also having the same issue. My phone is not rooted or anything.

• Moony
    Moony Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have the same issue on my android. I haven't rooted or jailbreaked my phone.

• Emerald
    Emerald Posts: 3 Spectator

I'm having the same issue! I also deleted and reinstalled the app and it's saying the same thing to me but my device is not rooted. Now I'm nervous to use the app to pay my bill because i don't know if it's a spectrum app problem or something's really going on with my phone. I downloaded a root checker i paid for and it's saying my phone is NOT rooted.

• James_M

@Emerald and @jimm45h78vb,

Sorry for the frustration, what is the device and OS you are using when you get the error message?

• Emerald
    edited July 2021

@James_M the device is an LG Stylo 4 android

• Doodlebug12
    Doodlebug12 Posts: 1 Spectator
    edited July 2021

Customized Device Agreement?

When will this be fixed? Is the app safe to use for payments?

• kevineleven77
    kevineleven77 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Have the same issue. Tried the reinstall and it doesn't work. (Samsung galaxy s9+)

• mindyw70
    mindyw70 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am getting the same message on Galaxy A10e, android OS. I uninstalled & reinstalled the app with no change.

• Valdezfam11
    Valdezfam11 Posts: 1 Spectator

I am also having the same issue pls help

• James_M

@Valdezfam11

What device are you using when you get the error message?

• James_M

@mindyw70, @kevineleven77, @Emerald

Thanks for the device information. Do you have another mobile device you can use to try loading the app, and does it give the same error message?

• James_M

All -

I have reached out to the app team about this issue, I will provide an update when I get additional information.

James

• Emerald

Thankyou! @James_M

• Lisa64
    Lisa64 Posts: 5 Participant
    edited July 2021

I'm having the same problem with my Android phone BLU VIVO X6 and my Samsung Android phone. Never had an issue before. I Deleted it and reinstalled to both phones and still the same problem.

• James_M
    edited July 2021

I have heard back from the app team. The message you are seeing regarding a "Customized Device Agreement" (see image below for message) was part of the 9.12.0 update in June. The message alerts the user that one of the following conditions was detected:

• The device is rooted or jailbroken
    • The device has USB debugging enabled

If USB debugging is enabled, you can disable USB debugging and try making a payment again.

If your device is rooted or jailbroken, the message is letting you know that you may be open to security vulnerabilities when using a jailbroken or rooted device, or a device where USB debugging is enabled to make payments. The message is meant to inform you of the risk of using bill pay on a rooted or jailbroken device.

If your device is not rooted or jailbroken and USB debugging has been disabled, you should not receive this message. If you believe you are getting this message in error, you should contact us directly to investigate the issue further. You may reply below in the comments or start a new post and we will reach out to you in a private message to collect additional information. Please do not post private account information in a public post.

Thanks for your patience, and please reply below if you have additional questions.

I am marking this answer as a solution (which floats to the top), and posting a second time so that there is a flow to the conversation.

• Lisa64

None of those apply to my devices.

• Monkeygirl23
    Monkeygirl23 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am having the same issues on Samsung galaxy 8. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and still getting message. The phone is not rooted. Help

• NicciP
    NicciP Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same issue on my Samsung Note 5. Tried reinstalling app, verified USB Debugging is not enabled. Not rooted or jailbroken, but still received error.. I was able to make payment by logging into website, but would like to avoid this issue next month

• James_M
    edited July 2021

@Monkeygirl23

I am having the same issues on Samsung galaxy 8. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and still getting message. The phone is not rooted. Help

Have you also disabled USB debugging?

• James_M

@NicciP

Same issue on my Samsung Note 5. Tried reinstalling app, verified USB Debugging is not enabled. Not rooted or jailbroken, but still received error.. I was able to make payment by logging into website, but would like to avoid this issue next month

Were you able to accept the Customized Device Agreement? Accepting should allow you to access bill pay through the app.

• Megan2019
    Megan2019 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I'm having the same problem! I have a Samsung Galaxy S8. I have never rooted or jail broke my phone. I don't want to agree to anything! Please help.

• Lisa64

I worked with spectrum and my phone is not rooted, jailbroken nor does it have debugging enabled. So the guy couldn't figure it out and said you could just accept agreement. I'm not accepting it. The fact that many many people are having the same issue the odds are it's not our phones it's spectrum's new updates problem.

• DJCR
    DJCR Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am experiencing the same issue. None of the above apply to me. My phone is not jail broken, rooted, nor on USB debugging mode. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8.

I've always paid via the app on my phone for years and have never had an issue. Using the app is super convenient and allows me to pay ontime.

Unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable using a service/method of payment that cannot guarantee the security of my payment info.

I do not approve of the only solution being advised is to accept a notice agreeing to not hold the service provider accountable in the event of a breach and assume all risk for the sake of convenience. I know there is always risk when entering payment info online wherever it may be, but I've never received an notice like this and it makes me feel uneasy.

The notice feels very random, it doesn't make sense to me. Why now are we getting this notice? Has this always been the case for android users?

I want to know that the service provider I am using is taking all possible measures and precautions to keep my payment info safe, regardless of what equipment I use to pay. By the appearance of this new notice, it appears to me that may not have been the case for android users all along. I find this very alarming and concerning.

I use my phone for majority of payments. Does this mean my payment info is also at higher risk of being compromised via paying thru Spectrum's website on my phone's web browser? I don't see a difference between utilizing this and the app.

Can you please clarify?

There must be a different solution other than accepting higher than normal risk simply because of the phone I use.

• James_M

@DJCR

If you are getting a message on your mobile device alerting you to accept the Customized Device Agreement and you decide to not to accept, there are multiple other ways you can pay your bill, including:

• Online at Spectrum.net
    • Try using a different mobile device
    • Your bank website
    • By mail
    • At a Spectrum Store (There is no processing fee when making a payment at our stores)
    • By phone using the automated system (NoteIf you choose to make your payment by phone with the assistance of a customer service agent, you'll be charged a $5.00 processing fee)

I included a link to How to Pay Your Bill, which details each of the options above and provides answers to frequently asked questions.

Thanks!

• anonymousaquarius90
    anonymousaquarius90 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same issue has been happening to me each time I open the app. I will not click to accept. Using my LG V30.

• Doobis
    Doobis Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same issue. Samsung note 8, Android 9.0.

No USB debugging enabled or rooted OS.

• Lisa64

When they say try another phone. It happens on 3 phones and a tablet. The problem is the app not the devices.

This discussion has been closed.