You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Length of time to complete port of number from Verizon to Spectrum Mobile?

Mindfulpiano
Mindfulpiano Posts: 8 Spectator

Yesterday I initiated a port request from Verizon to Spectrum Mobile.

I am wondering now how long it takes to complete. Nearly 24 hours later, my new iPhone SE still accesses my old Verizon voicemail, and only by calling my number (I am unable to set up visual voicemail). My previous Verizon phone was a flip phone, so visual voicemail was not set up obviously.

How long should I give it before I suspect something is wrong? I am aware that port completion can vary from a few hours to a few weeks (!), so I’m wondering what is typical for new users of Spectrum Mobile coming from Verizon.

Thanks for any help!

Best Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,609 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Thanks, I think I have a better understanding of your question. Visual voicemail is enabled and accessed through the app and the mobile app is in the process of being integrated with the My Spectrum billing app, so all services will be in one app. Only voicemails received while a Spectrum customer can be accessed by visual voicemail. When you start service with Spectrum, you transfer the number and need to set up a new Spectrum service voicemail box. Voicemail is managed on the device, by selecting the Phone icon and setting up either default or custom voicemail.

Verizon may continue to allow you to access old voicemails on the Verizon network. Voicemails from your Verizon service (or any other service) will not be able to be access by visual voicemail.

Otherwise, are you able to place and receive calls using your number on Spectrum mobile? Once you set up standard voicemail on the device, please test leaving a voicemail from another number. If you can make calls and receive calls on Spectrum mobile, then the port process is complete.

• James_M
    Answer ✓

I just want to confirm that nothing is awry, and that it’s a mere matter of waiting a few days for visual voicemail to come back up.

Correct, Visual Voicemail will be available once the app migration is complete. Keep us updated!

Answers

• James_M

Hi and welcome!

Typically, it only takes a few minutes to complete a number port once the process has been initiated. Since it has been more than 24hrs, that is usually an indicator that there is an issue that needs to be resolved. Most often it is simple error such as a misspelled name or the account was flagged for some other irregularity. I would suggest that you contact Spectrum Mobile directly at 833-224-6603. If the hold up is on Verizon's end, you may need to also contact Verizon to confirm the port request.

If you are unable to get the issue resolved by calling, please let us know.

James

• Mindfulpiano

Thanks for your response James_M.

I did spend a couple hours with Spectrum Mobile customer support yesterday, and I was unable to get any consistent information. I stopped in a Spectrum store, and they were unable to help. They told me to call support and request tier 3 support. I returned home to do that, but then the customer support rep I talked to would not acknowledge my request for tier 3 support. After awhile she noticed a note attached to my ticket that said Spectrum Mobile's visual voicemail was being upgraded, and the process is expected to complete on Friday; until that time, visual voicemail system wide is down.

If true, why wasn't this information divulged at the beginning of my attempts yesterday to resolve the issue? All indications examined by every customer support person I talked to pointed to a complete port process. I do not want to pursue this on Verizon's end if it's not actually a port issue, as that would be additional wasted time and effort.

So, as it stands, my understanding is nobody currently has access to visual voicemail. Is this indeed the case?

An additional related question: does Spectrum Mobile use the same voicemail servers as Verizon? In other words, had I ported from a non-Verizon carrier, would I not have access to my old voicemail messages (like I do now with my old messages received while with Verizon)?

Thanks for bearing with me. I'm trying to be as clear as possible with my situation, since yesterday there was plenty of misunderstanding going back and forth with customer support.

• Mindfulpiano

Voice calls outgoing and incoming work fine on my new iPhone. My old flip phone is no longer connected to a network, and I’m no longer able to access my online Verizon account, which leads me to believe port is complete.

Yesterday, I did leave a test voice message from a different number, (and others have left messages). I was able to listen to the messages by calling voicemail and entering keypad prompts, the way I did with my flip phone. The greeting is the one I used while with Verizon.

So my voicemail box contains messages both old and new, from my Verizon days and from yesterday (ostensibly with Spectrum Mobile). Since customer support suspects the port is complete, this is the reason why I wonder if the voicemail server is unchanged.

At present, I cannot set up visual voicemail in the phone app, since selecting the voicemail tab gives me no other option than to call voicemail. As I’m accustomed to doing this, it’s no big deal. I just want to confirm that nothing is awry, and that it’s a mere matter of waiting a few days for visual voicemail to come back up.

• Mindfulpiano

Okay, it’s the end of the business day on Friday, and visual voicemail is still inactive on my iphone. I’m beginning to suspect it’s something other than the app migration you suggested. I’ve not seen any other mention of visual voicemail being down, and a feature missing for this many days would certainly warrant a system wide announcement.

Currently in queue with customer support. I just did a Google search and found one thread from June of last year in an Apple forum that mentioned the same issue as I have. It was resolved only after Spectrum reset something (didn’t specify what that was), i.e., it wasn’t an issue on the user end. But until then, they too only had the option to call voicemail, with no way to set up visual voicemail.

I’ll update again after I connect with customer support tonight.

• Mindfulpiano

Just concluded phone call with customer support. No resolution. Final suggestion from rep was to pursue an exchange of phone, but I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. I’ve never had hardware issues with iOS devices, and my suspicion still rests on the problem being on Spectrum’s end.

For the time being I’ll live without visual voicemail, which is what I’ve done anyway until now. I switched carriers mainly to save money on plans and to get the equivalent of a large capacity iPod Touch, which I’ve accomplished. Two out of three ain’t bad I guess.

• Paul_B
    Paul_B Posts: 577 Spectrum Employee

Hello @Mindfulpiano

I am sorry to hear that you are having such difficulty with getting your number ported over and your visual voicemail working correctly. I would like to reach out to you in a private message to escalate this issue to our Spectrum mobile contacts to get this issue resolved for you.

Thank you.

Paul_B

• Mindfulpiano

Thanks @Paul_B for reaching out. I received your private message and responded.

An additional thought: Since all indicators point to a completed port process, and I understand Spectrum Mobile acts as a reseller of Verizon services, I suspect the resources to remedy this remain on Verizon's end. As my Verizon account is closed, I don't have recourse to their customer support.

• Mindfulpiano

There is still no resolution to this.

It had been suggested by a couple separate parties that I contact Spectrum Mobile support to request an escalation to tier 3 support. I had attempted to do this, but the support rep I received would not fulfill the request but chose instead to run me through the same processes I already had gone through.

Since then someone has attempted to call me to assist me, but the times he’s called I’ve not been able to answer, and no method was left to reach this particular individual.

It seems my input and the time lapsed is sufficient for this to be automatically escalated to tier 3. I don’t see why customer support is reluctant to show initiative to remedy this.

Anyway, the point is moot, as I’ve gone ahead to using a third party for voicemail. A solution exists, just not with Spectrum Mobile support.

• Paul_B

I apologize that there still has not been a resolution to this. I am going to reach out again via PM to gather a little more information and try to escalate this one more time.

Paul_B

• Mindfulpiano

@Paul_B Thank you for your assistance in this matter; it made all the difference.

Tier 3 support left me a couple voicemails yesterday (that went to the third party voicemail service I was using). They had reprovisioned the voicemail (unsure what that means), and when I checked my native phone app, visual voicemail was working. I was able to set it up, allowing me to deactivate the third party voicemail.

A few things I want to note about my experience:

Customer support was routinely baffled by my inability to access visual voicemail. I assume problems occur occasionally when porting numbers, so addressing customer concerns with useful information regarding this would be helpful.

When I asked for tier 3 support (which was first suggested to me by the resident Apple expert at my local Spectrum storefront), I was rebuffed. A few days had lapsed since I initially contacted support, so I decided at that point to cease finding resolution through Spectrum support and go with a third party voicemail.

@Paul_B was the rare instance of someone who consistently represented as a point person to seek resolution. Had I not come to this forum, I’m unsure if it ever would have been resolved based on my experience with phone support.

There were a lot of irons in the fire (cooks in the kitchen), and there really needed only to be one. I realize that Spectrum Mobile is relatively new, so there’s room for improvement in their customer support. I hope my experience can help create more efficient methods to address future customer issues with porting.

Thanks again!

• Paul_B

Thank you for the kind words @Mindfulpiano! I am glad to hear that the voice mail issue was resolved for you. If you ever need any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out here on the community. Someone is available 24/7.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Paul_B

This discussion has been closed.