You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Network Setup

Options
Sinjinn
Sinjinn Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have the Spectrum Modem, model E31U2V1, that only has 1 ethernet output. I'm trying to run the single modem port to a tp-link 5-port unmanaged network switch. I have 3 ethernet drops run in the house I'm connecting to the switch. I'm currently running an eero mesh wifi network off one of the drops but if I try to add anything else to one of the other two drops it doesn't have internet connection. I even tried putting a second tp-link switch in line prior to the eero hub and still got no internet connection at the other drops or on the other ports of the switch not being used by the eero. Do I need to have Spectrum set their modem as just a passthrough, because I haven't been able to login to it. I had the last company I used do this and let the eero manage it. Or will I need to try buying and using my own modem?

Best Answer

• LGT
    LGT Posts: 146 Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Actually everything in your setup is acting as it should. Your Spectrum provided modem gives you one connection to the internet, so putting a switch after that does nothing except pass that one connection along. The first device connected to your modem must be a router which will direct the traffic inside your local network. In your case that device is the eero mesh hub. If this device has an Ethernet output you could put your switch after that and connect your wired devices to that. If this device is Wi-Fi only you will need to purchase a router that has some wired Ethernet ports.

The wiring for a Spectrum modem only setup is Modem to Router to Devices. Your router must come directly after your modem. When you put a switch after your modem that switch has no software designed to give out local ip addresses and route traffic to those assigned ip addresses. If it did it would be a router not a switch.

This discussion has been closed.