You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

How to: Implement Bridge mode in my Netgear Modem/Router

baradanikto
baradanikto Posts: 10 Spectator

I'm looking for information on changing my existing Netgear modem/router from "router mode" to "bridge mode". I am running an Eero mesh network that recommends configuring the modem/router in bridge mode while running the Eero in Automatic (router) mode. I tried making the switch earlier, but, I lost all access. I had to reset my modem/router to get back online.

Is 'bridge mode' something that Spectrum Internet supports? Are there any special steps to implement it?

Answers

• Paul_B
    Paul_B Posts: 577 Spectrum Employee
    edited January 2022

Thank you for your post. The short answer is yes our network does support bridge mode. In fact it is advisable to have the modem in bridge mode when hooking up a new router to a modem that already has built in routing capabilities. It is really odd that you lost all connectivity when you placed the modem in bridge mode. One thing that I'd like to touch on is that there are two different types of bridge modes. The one for the modem should absolutely work without issue. There is also a bridge mode for a router. You would utilize this when you wanted to use an existing router as an access point or extender. It actually requires 2 routers to function. It may be that is what was enabled causing you to lose all connectivity.

I checked Netgear's website and I found 2 articles that might help explain the differences.

What is bridge mode and how do I set it up on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

When to put modem into bridge mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Please let us know if these articles help at all and if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

Paul_B

• baradanikto

Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

I lost connectivity when I tried switching my Netgear to Bridge mode and then set my Eero network to Automatic mode. I suspect that there's a specific set of steps to follow in order to accomplish the swap. I'm just not sure what they are.

• Randy_S
    Randy_S Posts: 514 Spectrum Employee

Thank you for the update. Being that this is third party equipment we aren't able to actually get inside the modem to take a look for you but I do have a number to call Netgear which is 888-638-4327 or you can visit the Netgear website. And if needed (or instead) here is the Eero info; 877-659-2347 and visit the Eero website. As long as the modem is on our list of approved modems, you are good to go with our system. The rest is figuring out how to get your modem to properly communicate with the Eero system.

Randy

• baradanikto

Thanks. I've actually been in conversations with Eero.

This discussion has been closed.