You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Any way to permanently disable WiFi radios?

MikeZ
MikeZ Posts: 6 Participant

Hi All,

I have a Spectrum modem and router (RAC2V1K). I had to go to a mesh network, in order to get decent coverage around my house. Therefore I don't need and don't want Spectrum's WiFi. All it does is cause interference for me.

I can go into the router's config, and disable both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz radios. However, Spectrum evidently has some endpoint management system, that keeps re-enabling them. I guess they're trying to idiot proof the setup for clueless customers. Has anybody else run into this same issue?

Thanks,

-Mike-

Best Answer

• Tyleen_Z
    Tyleen_Z Posts: 660 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello,

If you do not want to use the Spectrum wifi service you can return the router and not pay for the wireless service. You would then connect your mesh network directly to the modem to use that network instead of the Spectrum wireless.

-Tyleen

Answers

• MikeZ

Thanks. I would if I could. But my "mesh network" is just 3 Samsung SmartThings WiFi Hubs. I'm still using the Spectrum router as a firewall/router, switch, and DNS/DHCP server.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

I've checked your router settings and I show the wireless networks are already disabled. You are always welcome to purchase your own router you would have full control over if the features in ours are not meeting your needs.

• MikeZ

Thanks William. But I just checked and the radios are both re-enabled again. It wasn't me that did it.

As for getting my own router - I've considered that. But I've never been able to find a decent inexpensive choice to meet my needs. All I can find is discontinued/unsupported stuff on the re-sale market (e.g. Cisco, Ubiquiti, etc.), sketchy stuff that I'm not sure I should trust (e.g. MicroTik), and stuff that's way too expensive for my purposes. Might you have any suggestions?

• Paul_B
    Paul_B Posts: 577 Spectrum Employee

I do know that both Linksys and Netgear have routers in all different price ranges. I would recommend checking online at both Amazon or NewEgg to see what options are available. You can also check a local Best Buy to see what options they have in stock.

Paul_B

This discussion has been closed.