You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Phishing/Security

lco11en1
lco11en1 Posts: 6 Participant

As I've yet to find someplace/someone to address a security issue and as an Automated "Chat" was totally useless I'm posting here with the hope that perhaps someone who can actually do something about it sees it.

Today I received an email that supposedly came from Spectrum but it looked very suspicious to me so... did Spectrum send the below? Please let me know:

Alert: Security Issue With Your Internet Account

Dear ::: EDITED BY MODERATOR:::,

Spectrum has been notified of a potential security issue with your Internet service.

A device using your network may be infected by malicious software often disguised as a legitimate program or file. The infected device could be any computer, tablet, mobile device, set-top box (i.e., Firestick), smart home device, security camera or gaming console connected to your network.

Recommendations

Update anti-malware, firewall and antivirus software on computers, tablets and mobile devices.

Run a full anti-virus system scan on each device that uses your Spectrum Internet connection.

Use a tool such as the Spectrum AntiBot Scanner and/or other bot removal scans in conjunction with your anti-virus software to remove any malware. 

The Spectrum AntiBot Scanner can be located at Spectrum.net/security

Consider taking your computers, tablets and mobile devices to a repair professional.

Update all operating systems that run on your devices (i.e, Windows, Apple OS, Linux Distro or Android).

Make sure that all routers, modems, cameras, set-top boxes, smart home devices and gaming consoles are updated.

Change passwords to email accounts, banking and other financial sites after the device has been cleared of any virus or malware. 

Please be advised that Spectrum's Acceptable Use Policy prohibits actions, whether intentional or unintentional, that disrupt our network. To view these policies, visit Spectrum.com/policies/terms-of-service

Account Information

Account Number: ::::EDITED BY MODERATOR::::

Date: February 23, 2022

Thank you for choosing Spectrum,

Spectrum Support Team 

Please do not reply to this message. Replies to this message are routed to an unmonitored mailbox. If we can be of further assistance, please visit Spectrum Support

This email was sent to: ::::EDITED BY MODERATOR:::

If you received this email in error, please let us know

©2022 Charter Communications. All rights reserved | Privacy Policy

This message was sent by Charter Communications

Answers

• Randy_S
    Randy_S Posts: 514 Spectrum Employee

Good evening @lco11en1 , I am looking into this now with your login information. I just wanted to say real quickly that I edited out your personal information from the message because this is a public area. Will be right back.

Randy

• lco11en1
    lco11en1 Posts: 6 Participant

Thanks I appreciate both things from you. I must admit that I was pretty put out by the nature of the email, so much so that I really didn't about what to do or no do- so thanks again

• Randy_S
    Randy_S Posts: 514 Spectrum Employee

@lco11en1 , yes that email did come from us as per the notes on your account. I would strongly advise following the advice given in the email and run the Antibot scanner as soon as you can. You can use the one located at the URL provided or have a trusted local tech professional help.

Randy

This discussion has been closed.