You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

How to install a firewall appliance at home

andrewwalls
andrewwalls Posts: 2 Newcomer

I want/need to install a firewall appliance onto my home network (i.e.- Firewalla Purple). The Spectrum equipment I have is a standard 1gb setup (cable modem and SAC2V1K router/wifi). The best configuration for a firewall installation would be to have the firewall in router mode interposed between the modem and the Spectrum router/wifi, with the SAC2V1K in bridge mode. As far as I can tell, I do not have the ability/access/authority to put the SAC2V1K router/wifi appliance into bridge mode. How can I install a firewall appliance?

Best Answer

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 669 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @andrewwalls

Welcome to our community! The only router equipment that would be able to be put into bridge mode would be for customers still using our combination modem/routers. The standalone routers are not able to be put into bridge mode, since that would not allow either a wired or wireless connection to the router. If you'd like to use the firewall device in place of the router, you can, and you would not need to use the Spectrum router in the set up. The router can be returned at in local Spectrum store if you'd like to just use the firewall device in router mode instead.

Answers

• andrewwalls
    andrewwalls Posts: 2 Newcomer

Just to confirm, you are saying that the current internet kit provided by Spectrum (stand alone modem with separate router/wifi - SAC2V1K) is incompatible with an inline firewall? If so, this means that to provide a secure environment for my LAN I should only use the Spectrum modem and acquire my own router and wifi appliances which are compatible with an inline firewall. Is that a correct summary?

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 669 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Correct. Our standalone routers, including the SAC2V1K, are not able to be put into bridge mode, since for our purposes, bridging it would disable both the WiFi and ethernet port functions, so at that point the devices would be connecting to the router portion of your firewall device and would be bypassing our router entirely. Should you need the bridging function in order to use your firewall device and still have devices be able to connect to the wired ports on the router, you would need to purchase your own router, where you would have total control of the settings and functions to tailor them to your needs.

This discussion has been closed.