You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

New Samsung TV --- Do I Need a New Spectrum Remote

old_texan
old_texan Posts: 56 Contributor

buying a new Samsung Series 7 TV. As far as I know, this has a 4-digit remote code. But although I have a fairly new Specturm Cisco DVR, the remote is the old 8780L variety ---- 3 digit codes.

If I go to Spectrum can I get a remote that will use the 4-digit codes? I'd hat to replace the Cisco DVR, as I have a lot of old shows on there. The Cisco came with a newer remote, but when I went for a replacement, all my local store had were the old 8780's.

Best Answers

• Tyleen_Z
    Tyleen_Z Posts: 660 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello,

You are able to go to the local office and swap out the remote for a new one.

-Tyleen

• old_texan
    Answer ✓

Thanks again, Satch. That does make perfect sense, and clearly I was too concerned about the 4 digit vs 3 digit. but your explanation sorts it all out.

Was planning on paying for it this weekend, and then its about a week for delivery. (I can't lift in on my own.)

Both Conns and Best buy have them on sale now.

thank you again!

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor
    edited March 2022

Hi @old_texan,

Glad to help. The short answer is "You should use your Spectrum Remote with your Samsung TV." You have the Cliker Backlite Remote. (Very popular.) I have your same remote! If your old TV was a Samsung, you may not have to do anything. (Same code.) But if not, or you need the code Go to Spectrum, "Programing Your Remote" page here:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/program-your-remote

If you get a new remote, they might give you the World Box Remote that a lot of customers don't like. While, you can use your Samsung Smart TV remote with your cable box, I do not recommend this. The lack of numbered buttons on i,t and the size being so tiny is very, very confusing for many people. And I am a cable tech person with many years of experience.

The older remote codes and remotes will work with newer TV's just fine! I got my Samsung Smart TV in May last year and had the Clickr Backlite remote since 2017. And the same model with another Clikr Backlite remote since 2013. Our last two TV's have been Samsungs and the Quick Program Guide for the CATV has always worked for Spectrum remotes.

I only use my Samsung TV remote for two things:

1.) Watching something on the Smart TV apps.

2.) Picture and audio settings specific for your TV.

Satch

• old_texan

Thanks, Satch. What threw me is that all of the published remote codes for newer sets have a 4-digit code. The 8780 only seems to have provisons for 3 (according tot he list it comes with.) But I'll give it a try.

• Satch
    edited March 2022

Good Evening @old_texan ,

You will want to program your Spectrum cable TV remote with the "Programing Your Remote Link."

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/program-your-remote

Your Smart TV remote that comes with your TV will not factor into this. When you set up the Samsung TV, the Internet set up wizards will sync your TV to your cable box and the Smart TV will literally program itself.

My recommendation in using the Spectrum remote is the Smart TV Remote has no numbered buttons. and is difficult to navigate the cable box menus with the Smart TV remote, They have Smart TV Remotes from Amazon with numbered buttons that are larger for seniors and those with vision problems. (Spectrum also has their own site for this,)

The Cable Boxes and Cable Box remotes can be programed to work with any TV regardless of its age.

Satch

• old_texan
    edited March 2022

Satch -- Bear with my questions. I haven't paid for the new Samsung yet, just the down payment. I would REALLY like to keep on using my 8780L as you say. But the one mental hurdle I can't get over is that the published remote code for the samsun UN50TU7000FXZA are all shown as 4-digit, where the codes in the 8780 are all 3 digits. Does that make a difference? I'd really like to keep on using the one remote for dvr and tv, as I'm not a home theater fan.

thanks for taking the times for my amateurish questions.

• old_texan

Satch -- Bear with my questions. I haven't paid for the new Samsung yet, just the down payment. I would REALLY like to keep on using my 8780L as you say. But the one mental hurdle I can't get over is that the published remote code for the samsun UN50TU7000FXZA are all shown as 4-digit, where the codes in the 8780 are all 3 digits. Does that make a difference? I'd really like to keep on using the one remote for dvr and tv, as I'm not a home theater fan.

thanks for taking the times for my amateurish questions.

• Satch

Hi @old_texan ,

You and I have almost the same model TV and same size screen! Mine is a Series 8. The thing is, forget about the Samsung TV remote codes that are put out by Samsung for the Smart TV remote. When you get your new TV set up, the auto set up wizard will guide you through the process.

When you get your picture on the screen and you use the Samsung TV Smart remote, I would first recommend turning off the Environmental/Economy mode setting using your Samsung TV remote. (If you don't, the picture auto adjust for brightness based on the brightness in the room.) This is turned on by default. When I had Economy mode turned on, the picture got way too dark when I watched TV at night. You will find this setting in Advanced Picture Settings for video. Turning this mode to "Off" will give you greater control of the picture settings.

After you do this, you should go to programing your Spectrum Remote Control website here: https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/program-your-remote (Not the Samsung Smart TV one,) This is the remote that Spectrum gives you with your cable box You are going to run the set up program and enter the code into your Spectrum remote Ths is so you can control the on/off functionality of your TV and the Volume/Mute buttons with the same remote that you have always been using. The one from Spectrum.

Like I said, if your previous TV (the one you have now) is already a Samsung, the Spectrum Remote may already have the code for your new Samsung TV programmed into it. If your TV that you are using now is a different brand name, (Lets say Sony) you would have to use the Spectrum remote to run the set up program to change the code from your old Sony TV to your new Samsung TV.

Your question might be, why is Samsung publishing their own codes for cable TV's? These codes are for those people who don't have a cable box or cable box remote and they are there if the auto set up wizard doesn't auto program the TV for cable. Because you already have a cable box and a cable remote from Spectrum, you won't need the Smart TV remote from Samsung to do any cable TV functions.

You will only need the Samsung Smart TV remote to do the following:

1.) Install and run TV apps

2.) Change TV audio/video settings related to your TV.

3.) Set up your TV for the first time, or to change TV settings.

Once you program your Spectrum TV remote control, that remote control is going to be your main functionality for your TV.. For my TV, I set the Samsung Smart TV remote in a drawer to reduce remote clutter, and I only use that remote to watch an app.

When do you plan to order your TV?

Satch

This discussion has been closed.