You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why did my internet routing get changed with the installation of new router/modem?

EthanW
EthanW Posts: 4 Spectator

Hello, after installing my new modem (ES2251) and router (SAX1V1K), I realized that I was experiencing more ping to servers that I was used to being on. So I went to a ping plotter to see what the issue was and I realized that its taking a different route than before. My older router was a Netgear C6250. Its causing a change of about 15 more ms to every server I connect to. Here's the routing table of the old and new. New one taking 15 hops rather than the old which was taking 11.

This is the old. "Netgear C6250"

This is the new. "ES2251 + SAX1V1K"

Tagged:

Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,700 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi and welcome!

In both examples above the first 5 hops are basically the same, and on the Charter network. At hop six (both examples), the Charter network is exited and the remainder of the hops are on Google networks. Data packets travel on the path of least resistance, so the most logical explanation would be network congestion.

If you feel there is an issue at the network level, please provide a trace route (tracert) from the command prompt and we can take a look at the path and response times.

Thanks!

• EthanW

After the 3rd hop, the IPs change and everything.

New modem/router above.

This was the old modem/router set up.

Here is the tracert to the ipv4:www.google.com with the new router/modem.

I just want my better ping back.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,077 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited April 2022

Thank you for running those tests. It looks like the destination IP is different, while they are all to google.com there is not just one google server, the destination IP was 172.217.5.4, now is 142.250.191.228 and 142.250.191.132. I am seeing originally you were making it to a Google IP on hop 9 (209.85.248.185,) now you are making it to Google on hop 8 (72.14.220.110 and 72.14.195.118,) hops 8-16 are all google data center IPs in California. Despite the extra hops I am not seeing a significant difference in the overall ping (32.9ms vs 36.7ms) and all results are well within an acceptable range. Routing is determined by an automated algorithm which determines the path of least resistance so even to the same IP it would be unusual to never see any changes.

• EthanW

This is the same google IP but with the new modem and router. It is still taking 16 hops. Do you think factory resetting the modem will solve this?

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,077 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited April 2022

No, factory resetting is not going to change this. The extra hops are on Googles end, and more hops are not automatically a bad thing. Your round trip time to this server in California is 36.7ms, this mean data is travelling from you all the way to California and back to you in 0.0367 seconds. I see no problems here.

• EthanW

Well even to central servers (which used to be my lowest ping around 26 ms), I now get about 50 ms. Really makes the games I play not enjoyable.

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor
    edited April 2022

Used to run into that kind of weirdness periodically back in the days of TWC. If I powered down the modem for the night, sometimes it would clear up if it wound up changing my public IP (our geolocation used to bounce around to be "homed" to different areas, never would actually report Florence, SC or even somewhere close).

If that doesn't do anything, about the only option would be to try a VPN/GVPN service. ISP's generally don't manually manipulate routing tables anymore... it pretty much is full on auto these days.

Otherwise, will have to wait for the next round of route announcements to kick in and hope alternate paths are chosen.

This discussion has been closed.