You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Re: known problem with "HTTP Proxy Unsupported" on IOS, does anyone know when this will be fixed?

Mel_S
Mel_S Posts: 15 Participant

Best Answers

• OrilB629
    OrilB629 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Answer ✓

I had the same issue. I went under

“settings “

“VPN”

“I had Norton Mobile Security “

I pressed the blue circled “i”

And shut off “Connect on Demand “

Worked for me

• OrilB629
    OrilB629 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Answer ✓

2. Disable Connect On Demand VPN setting

1. Unlock your iPhone
    2. Open the Settings app on your device
    3. Scroll all the way down to General settings
    4. Open the General section
    5. Locate the VPN option and select it
    6. Identify the active VPN connection (has a blue checkmark)
    7. Click the active VPN connection’s circled ibutton
    8. If Connect On Demand is activated, turn it off
    9. Head back to the VPN menu by tapping the back button
    10. Flip the Status switch to Off to disconnect from the VPN

Now everything should be good. Instead of your iPhone reconnecting to your VPN automatically, you’ll have to connect manually every time. However, that should fix your device’s inability to disconnect from a VPN for good.

Tip: before disabling the Connect On Demand option, you can see whether your connection has this option enabled. It will be visible just below the Status button as an informative note.

• Mel_S
    Answer ✓

Thank you; that fixed it and both Spectrum TV and News Apps are working again! Your help is very much appreciated. Have a great 4th July weekend!

Answers

• Mel_S

It is turned off and it makes no difference

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,076 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @Mel_S, welcome to our community!

Please view Removing Proxy Settings to verify no proxy is configured on your device. If not, reboot your device and internet modem, and then if the issue persists test a different device and a different internet connection (such as mobile data or a WiFi hotspot.)

• Mel_S

Thank you for the feedback William I've done all of those things and the problem persists. Previous discusssions indicate that it is a known problem; guess they haven't fixed it yet.

• William_M

I have not heard of this problem before, where did you learn that it was a known problem? Was the other device you tested also IOS? Do you get the same error when using the Spectrum TV app?

• Mel_S

This was the post I was referring to. I just tried the Spectrum TV App and got the same message about the proxy server but this time I was given a reference code of IFE-1003. I'm Going to try both apps again on my iPAD . I'll let you know how I get on.

• Mel_S

I tried to download Spectrum News to my iPad mini which is running iOS 12.5.5 (up to date), but the app needs iOS 13.0 or later. The Spectrum TV app downloaded and worked fine, using the same wi-fi with HTTP Proxy off. My wife has gone to visit my daughter for the weekend and taken our other iPad so I can’t try that one.

If I turn off Wi-Fi on my phone and use cellular both Spectrum News and Spectrum TV still won’t load due to the HTTP Proxy problem. I don’t understand why this is happening when I'm using cell, not wi-fi.

• Mel_S

My daughter just downloaded both Spectrum News and Spectrum TV from the app store on her iPhone and both work fine. She is running iOS 15.4.1. Both apps used to work for me too; I recently updated to iOS 15.5.

Any suggestions on what the problem is and how I can fix it would be much appreciated.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 669 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Since you mentioned the recent update to iOS 15.5, did the issues start when you did the iOS update or were you seeing issues when you were on 15.4 as well?

• Mel_S

Good question. I normally download and install updates as soon as they are available, which was around end of March for iOS 15.4. I didn't have any issues until recently, ie after upgrading to 15.5.

• Mel_S

I just tried deleting both apps, forgetting the wi-fi network, restarting the phone, reloading the wi-fi and making sure HTTP Proxy was off, then downloading both apps. All to no avail unfortunately; I still had the same error messages.

As I've said before, any suggestions on what the problem is and how I can fix it would be much appreciated.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 669 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

It sounds like it may be an issue with the apps and the 15.5 update. If you go into the app store, under the app information, it should tell you which version of the app is installed. Can you let us know which version numbers both apps are?

• Mel_S

Spectrum News is version 2.10 and Spectrum TV is version 8.50

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee

Thank you. Can you please uninstall/re-install the app and then see if you receive the same error?

• Mel_S

Re: my post yesterday 11:43am, I did try that. I've just tried again and still get the same error :(

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee

My apologies. Can you please check to make sure Private relay is off? Please follow the steps below:

• Click on OK
    • Click on Turn off Private Relay to confirm
    • Tap to turn off Private Relay
    • Now tap on Private Relay
    • Choose iCloud
    • Tap on your name at the top of the screen
    • Open Settings.

Please let me know if there is any change.

• Mel_S

Sorry, only just had a chance to try this.. Where do I start the steps above, ie where do I click OK to start? If I go to Settings and select the top option where my name is, ie Apple ID, iCloud, etc, then select iCloud, I can see Private Relay (Beta) and it shows 'Upgrade', which wants me to subscribe to iCloud+.

• Heather_T
    Heather_T Posts: 121 Contributor
    edited May 2022

My apologies @Mel_S.

If Private Relay were "On" it would be listed there and you wouldn't see the upgrade to iCloud+ option. Just to confirm as well, you're not connected to a VPN at all correct?

-Heather

• Mel_S

Thank you Heather. No, I'm not connected to a VPN. My wife has been away with my daughter for a long weekend. She has exactly the same iPhone as me, model, iOS version, etc. When she gets home and I get a chance, I'm going to download both apps to her phone and see what happens. I'll post an update when I've done this.

• Mel_S

Further to my post above, an update for you. I downloaded both apps to my wife's phone and they worked fine. At this stage I really don't know what the problem is. If anyone has any new suggestions they would be much appreciated, otherwise I'm just going to have to accept that, for whatever reason, these apps won't work on my phone.

• William_M

That definitely narrows it down to an issue with the phone itself. It could be an interfering app or a software issue. I recommend uninstalling any apps which you do not use and ones that help manage your connections or anti-virus/firewall/similar apps. You could just try factoring resetting your phone, though keep in mind that will delete everything.

• Mel_S

Thank you for the feedback William. I have a busy time leading up to my daughter's wedding so I may not do anything on this for some weeks. If I have any success in fixing it I'll let you know.

This discussion has been closed.