You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Stop wi-fi from broadcasting SSID

humtake
humtake Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited September 2023 in Spectrum Archives: 2020 - Present

I just got a new router and wi-fi modem, I assume because I upgraded my plan to a better plan.

Everything is set up fine and working but I can't find a way to stop broadcasting my network. I've checked the utilities available in Spectrum but even the Advanced Options do not have this ability. I really hate to think that Spectrum wants my network to be less secure so I'm hoping someone knows how to do this.

I understand there are different devices with different configurations/options but disabling broadcasting is a function on any wi-fi equipment in the 21st century so there must be some way.

Thank you!

Answers

• Randy_S
    Randy_S Posts: 514 Spectrum Employee

Good afternoon and welcome to the Spectrum Community, @humtake

To make sure I am on the same page, are you talking about hiding the network name but still being able to connect via wifi?

Randy

• karlbeckman
    karlbeckman Posts: 2,285 Contributor

Broadcasting the WiFi SSID is not a security risk vector, provided that your router is using at least WPA2 encryption and your network password meets standard security protocols which should be listed in the router instruction manual.

This discussion has been closed.