You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Suspicious site blocked by Spectrum?

davexnet
davexnet Posts: 55 Contributor

Under what circumstances is Spectrum blocking certain sites, and is there anything in the Spectrum app that will allow me to assume the risk and allow the page?

Page is accessible without issue when switching to my phone's data plan

Thanks for any info

Best Answers

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 341 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi davexnet!

Security Shield is enabled by default on your Advanced Home WiFi service. However, you can turn off and turn on this feature as you wish:

1. Go to the Services & Equipment tab, and select Security Shield. 

2. Then switch the Security Shield toggle on or off as desired.  

3. Confirm decision. 

If this doesn't help please provide us with the site in question so we can investigate this further.

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee
    Answer ✓

Thank you for the update and I am glad this is resolved. I have sent this feedback to our team.

• davexnet
    Answer ✓

RAIST5150 , thanks for your idea, however, this app refused to go into Landscape mode at all.

But good, news, the app was "fixed" and the button is now accessible

Answers

• davexnet
    edited July 2022

I don't see anywhere to turn it off. Unles Spectrum have intentionally hid it under that

"chat" icon, lower right

Why doesn't this app allow me to take a screen shot?

Wouldn't it make the support process a little easier?

This is like adding insult to injury

• Paul_B
    Paul_B Posts: 577 Spectrum Employee

Good morning -

Thank you for following up. The toggle to disable the security shield should be below settings. If it is not there, could I ask that you please uninstall and re-install the app to ensure that you have the most recent version?

If that does not work, please let us know so that we can continue to troubleshoot with you.

Thank you.

Paul_B

• davexnet

I'm running the most recent, reinstalled just to make sure.

This app doesn't even allow you to open it if it detects a newer version.

Please provide a screen shot showing the location of this toggle.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

I'm sorry, I am not able to take a screenshot but I see what is happening from your first picture. At the bottom of the page it says "Security; Receive 24/7 threat monitoring and real-time reporting on your home network". To the right of it is a chat bubble, under that chat bubble is the toggle button. If you scroll up just slightly you will see that toggle under the chat bubble and will be able to turn it off.

• davexnet

I tried it on two phones with different screen resolutions,

in neither case is there enough of the toggle to select it, it just doesn't scroll far enough.

Don't you think I wouldn't try this by now ?

I'm just incredulous, this nonsense with Spectrum and their app, it's just one thing after another.

• William_M

You are right that you cannot scroll far enough down to move the toggle above the chat bubble, but if you scroll all the way to the bottom, and then scroll back up just slightly, you should be able to see the toggle underneath the chat bubble as shown in my screenshot above. I will submit feedback about the chat bubble obstructing this toggle as that is unintuitive and not intended. Please let us know if this still does not work and we can try disabling it from our end,

• davexnet

This is as much as I can see of the switch, there is no further scroll.

It's to small to touch it.

Please disable this "feature" for me.

Later on, I may need to re-enable it, so a new version of the app with this fixed would be nice -

thanks

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 644 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Thank you for checking. I have disabled the feature for you from our end. Are you able to check either in the app with what you can see of the that toggle that it is off for you and/or that you are able to visit one of the sites that was blocked?

• davexnet

Thank you I just checked the particular site that gave me issues before, it's now open.

Can I expect this to be "fixed" in the app in the near future ?

• William_M

It has been reported to the app developers for review but we cannot guarantee it will be corrected in the next update.

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor

For future reference, I get around this kind of issue sometimes by adjusting my screen.

Zooming, switching to landscape, or a combination of the two can sometimes shift elements just enough to gain access.

Ultimately, would be nice to have a way to close/hide the chat feature. Like how some car dealerships prompt with a little pop up for chat that we can close with an x the corner. Can open it again from the drop menu, or just refresh the page to gain access to chat again.

This discussion has been closed.