You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Spectrum TV and Apple HDMI to Lightning connector not working?

Scott137
Scott137 Posts: 7 Participant

Hello,

I have spoke to Apple tech support and there is no issue with IOS 16. As they told me the issue is with Spectrum not updating their app to work correctly on the Apple IOS 16 platform with the HDMI connector. When I connect my iPhone with IOS 16 to my tv the mirroring freezes and there is no Audio. When I connect to my iPad with an older iOS 15.7 the app works great.

Please fix this issue ASAP!! Or contact Apple and work with them to resolve the issue.

Thanks

Best Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @Scott137, welcome to our community! I see the most recent thread on this issue has an answer by one of our members which explained that this issue is not exclusive to the Spectrum TV app, even if that is the only app you have personally noticed it on. Discussions are closed after a set amount of time with no responses. If you can view and hear the app on the IOS device itself, then our app is working. I recommend contacting Apple for any issues transmitting content via mirroring or cables/connectors. I'm sorry that we cannot help you more here.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,610 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

In one of the posts on this thread from the Apple Community, Apple has removed access using the AV connection when away from home. Please test it again when you return to your home network. Since Apple has removed access using cell data, instead of mirroring from you phone, you can try using a different portable device such as a Roku. Out of home restrictions will still apply.

Thanks for the question!

• James_M
    Answer ✓

I've reached out to our tv app developer contacts and wanted to provide the following update:

We have heard from our developers and this issue is an Apple issue with the iOS 16 update. Apple is aware of the issue and working on a fix. While not all streaming apps are impacted, we have been assured that this is not a Spectrum App issue. Please look for a future update from Apple to resolve the issue.

Answers

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 666 Contributor
    edited November 2022

Funny how Apple’s iOS 16 Lightning-to-HDMI get-up has been crapped out for so many big-time streaming apps during the whole time they’ve rolled their new Apple TV 4K streaming device out to market. 🤣

• Scott137

William. As I mentioned in my original comment I already spoke to Apple. They also said if the app functions properly on the device and not with the HDMI to Lightning connection then it is an update that Spectrum needs do. I don’t care who care has to fix the problem I just want someone at Apple or Spectrum to realize there is an issue and fix it rather. Rather than pointing fingers and laying blame on each other and Apple saying it is Spectrum and Spectrum saying it is an issue with Apple. Listen to the customer work with Apple and someone please fix the problem. I pay a lot each month for my Spectrum service and paid a lot for a new iPhone and just want everything to work as it should. If this is something you can’t address please pass me to to an engineer or technician that will take me seriously and fix the problem.

Thanks

• HT_Greenfield

My bad. I was just knocking Apple because of this fiasco. Anybody else experiencing this problem can visit Apple’s community forum and search for the phrase “Lightning to HDMI” and filter the results down to the past month or even week and peruse the sentiment of the very many disaffected users in all of the comments in all of the discussions. 

Here’s one who was told by Apple Support that it’s obviously an Apple issue. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254210046?answerId=258127165022#258127165022

Here’s one for whom Apple replaced the iPhone and adapter to address the issue, albeit to no avail.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254391845

Here’s one who seems to be having the problem with none other than the Apple TV streaming app. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254416145

Et cetera. I’m just trying to help. My bad if i’m missing the mark.

• James_M

@Scott137

Are you trying to use the app with the lightning adapter on your home network, away from home on another network or using cell data?

• Scott137

James,

I am using it away from home using my cell data. Why would this matter?

• James_M
    edited November 2022

In one of the posts on this thread from the Apple Community, Apple has removed access using the AV connection when away from home. Please test it again when you return to your home network, it may still work while on the home network. Since Apple has removed access using cell data, instead of mirroring from you phone, you can try using a different portable device such as a Roku. Out of home restrictions will still apply.

Thanks for the question!

• Bomber
    Bomber Posts: 7 Spectator

I am on my home network (at home) and I am having the same issue with the Spectrum app. I get video (low quality) and no audio. All my other apps (Netflix and Amazon Prime Video) are working fine. I too just upgraded to IOS 16 so it appears Spectrum needs to update its app. OK James_M, please look into this issue.

• Bomber

Addition info. My wife has not upgraded to IOS 16 and her IPAD and Iphone is working fine with the HDMI adapter. So, it is definitely and IOS 16 issue.

• James_M

@Bomber

If the app is working on the device, then the issue is with the AV adapter. The previous links, referenced in this thread, from the Apple Community indicate that functionality was removed by Apple.

• Bomber
    edited November 2022

Yes, the app is working on the devices in both cases with IOS 16 and IOS 15. But as I stated before, the adapter only works on with the devices that have not updated to IOS 16. All the other apps except Spectrum work great with either IOS 15 or 16. So how can it be an Apple issue??

• Scott137

James

The same thing happens on my main tv on my Wi-Fi with the app as on data. It is your app that needs to be corrected. It doesn’t make sense that Apple updated their OS and suddenly Spectrums app doesn’t work. It is my experience that when Apple updates its OS, app providers need to update their app to be compatible. Please have one of your app engineers look into this! I am experiencing the same issues as Bomber has experienced.

• James_M

Thanks for the additional information. We will pass it along to the app developers and provide an update when one is available.

• Bomber

Is there any update on this issue?

• Scott137

James

Is there any updates on this problem yet?

• James_M

There is no additonal information available at this time. We will advise when an update is available.

• HT_Greenfield

In the meantime, speaking of Amazon Prime Video, it’s not working via Lightning to HDMI for a lot of subscribers and Amazon support is telling their users that they don’t support it. They call it an extension of the iPhone & iPad platforms and say that they don’t support any such extensions of any of the platforms that they do support. My guess is that it worked fine prior to iOS 16 without any developmental support from Amazon. 

Anyway, i wonder if this whole imbroglio is related to DRM which would be a very sticky wicket for streaming apps by cable and satellite manifold-network re-distributors as Lightning to HDMI has also crapped out for the DIRECTV and Xfinity Stream apps presumably. Time will tell.

• HT_Greenfield

Correction: Amazon support has lately been saying that they are working on it! My bad. I'm a moron. I'm still afraid that whatever the matter is could be a stickier wicket for manifold-network re-distributors than for original distributors. Over and out.

• Bomber

Just wondering the status of Spectrum resolving this issue. Are they even working on it and if so, how long before we can expect it to be resolved?

• Scott137

Disney+, Netflix, and even Vudu all work great with the HDMI to lightening connector. I also wish Spectrum would figure out what their issue is.

• James_M

I've reached out to our tv app developer contacts and wanted to provide the following update:

We have heard from our developers and this issue is an Apple issue with the iOS 16 update. Apple is aware of the issue and working on a fix. While not all streaming apps are impacted, we have been assured that this is not a Spectrum App issue. Please look for a future update from Apple to resolve the issue.

• Scott137

Updated to latest iOS 16.2 and still no fix on the issue. What is the status on this?

• James_M

@Scott137

Please see my last comment above. This is not a Spectrum TV App issue.

For any update information, you will need to contact Apple directly.

• James_M

Closing this post as it has run its course and the question has been answered.

This discussion has been closed.