You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

What won't my iPhone re-connect after signal loss?

TomUpNorth
TomUpNorth Posts: 30 Contributor

We didn't have this problem with AT&T, but after switching to Spectrum Mobile we frequently find that after our iPhone 8 has lost connection, and we see "No Service" or "SOS Only" upper-left, the phones do not re-connect after entering an area with coverage. If we switch to Airplane Mode and back again, the bars appear and we have restored coverage.

Once I have noticed No Service and then are within again a strong tower area, I have left it thinking "there is a timer i.e. it waits 5 minutes or something" but no, I have to do the Airplane mode thing.

Are there any solutions for this?

Best Answer

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,028 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

The phones operating system and apps need to read/write information to storage in order to run, and if your device is close to 100% full it can cause performance issues, but 49/64 GB is not a problem.

Since toggling airplane mode lets you reconnect it most likely is either a hardware or software issue with the phone itself. It might be a problem with the SIM card you got from us when switching, but new problems can start any time regardless of provider.

I recommend resetting your devices network settings, turn off your phone, remove and reinsert the SIM card, and then turn it back on. If the issue persists you can try a factory reset but please keep in mind anything saved on your device will be lost so make sure you back up first! Wait to reinstall any apps you don't need as one of them may be causing the issue.

You can reach our mobile support team at  1-833-224-6603​​​​​ who may have other troubleshooting suggestions, can send you a SIM card, or discuss device replacement options.

Answers

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 341 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Good evening @TomUpNorth and welcome to our Community Forums

Thank you for reaching out to us about your iPhone not reconnecting when services are available. We have a couple of suggestions that may help out. Can you make sure all recommended updates for your phone are completed? Also, have you checked your memory/storage for this phone? If the storage is almost used up it can cause concerns with connections. -Lyn

• TomUpNorth

Thank you for that. Yes I have always stayed fully updated iOS-wise and my Storage usage is 49Gb out of a total 64Gb. Under About...Carrier it says Spectrum 53.0.1 and "Modem Firmware" is 5.03.01.

Can you suggest to me how Storage might affect this??? It didn't seem to be any issue with AT&T.

• TomUpNorth

I think after doing the easy reset stuff I am going to take a serious look at my apps to see which I might do without. Or maybe turn off "Run in Background" settings for any not absolutely needed to do so.

Thanks for the tips--I will call if I can't make this problem go away.

• TomUpNorth

I hadn't pulled the SIM card cuz surfing on SIM and Signal suggested there was no correlation i.e. either the SIM card allows the phone to communicate with the tower, or it doesn't. But after 3 or 4 days of continued bizzareness I did finally take it out and clean-and-replace it, and everything does now appear to be working properly.

What inspired me was when I looked at the Settings then Battery then Battery Usage and saw that the most used "app" was "No Cell Coverage"!!!!!!?!!!! Since re-setting the SIM card I've had consistent signal and no down time.

I have yet to drive somewhere with No Signal to see if the phone recovers, but I have a feeling that it will now.

To clean it, I used first a clean pencil eraser on the contacts and then wiped clean with a microfiber cloth.

• Randy_S
    Randy_S Posts: 514 Spectrum Employee

Hello @TomUpNorth,

Thank you very much for the update and the specific steps you took troubleshooting. I am sure it will be helpful to others.

Randy

This discussion has been closed.