You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Large number of corrected and uncorrectables on channel 1

davidsopala
davidsopala Posts: 3 Spectator

Spectrum recently came out and re-ran a line somewhere. I also replaced my aging modem with a new Arris SB8200 modem. I have been having issues with voice chats going in and out on apps like discord and teams. I have noticed channel 1 is having tons of issues can anyone give me some insight as to what might be going on? What is channel 1 even used for and why is it having so many issues? Is there anything I can do on my end? Spectrum keeps telling me there are no issues.

Answers

• davidsopala

Immediately after disconnecting and rebooting the modem

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @davidsopala, welcome to our community!

Each channel represents a frequency that is being used to transmit information. Spectrum Internet uses ~8 of the channels, Ultra uses ~16, and Gig uses 24-32. They don't have individual functions, you just need enough good channels to get your full speed.

Correctable errors are generally not a problem, there will always be some interference that can cause minor signal fluctuation but if is correctable it means the modem was able to understand the data and it didn't need to be retransmitted. Uncorrectables however means the corrupted data had to be resent and can definitely cause connection issues.

Can you please elaborate on the exact issues you are having when using the internet? Is it just voice chats or have you lost connection to other services? How long does the problem last? Does rebooting normally resolve it? Have you tried testing the service with just one device plugged straight into the modem, to rule out issues with the router or wireless interference?

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor

With your upstream levels being on the lower side and your downstream being on the higher side of the range we look for, it gives the appearance of slight amplification in play (or at least gains may have been increased nearby)

Not uncommon... actually required to keep things healthy in a lot of neighborhoods.

An unfortunate side effect though is it can increase the impact of noise ingress on the line.

Your frequencies fall right around a range in use by a couple cell carriers (Tmobile and Walmart Family Mobile at least), not to mention part of it dips into a range once used for analog TV broadcasts. Some older neighborhoods could have inline choke cylinders installed to block certain channels (a little metal cylinder filter, usually with a thin green or other color band on it, possibly the frequency range laser etched on the casing). If any are still out there it can knock the waveform just enough out of whack, making it hard to get a lock on certain channels. Other than physically inspecting cables, it may be detected with a spectrum analysis--something a tech would need to do, as your modem likely doesn't have that function baked in (several chipsets support a basic one, but not enabled in the firmware).

Otherwise... do the usual checks for loose/corroded/wet connections, crimped or otherwise compromised cabling (any bends should be no tighter than it would be if wrapped around a 2 liter bottle--this too can monkey with the waveform). Don't want cables running close to things that routinely get pretty hot/cold, or can generate electrical noise (fans, speakers, transformers, etc). Also... no standing water, and no lomg exposure to direct sunlight if it can be helped.

Make sure there is a ground strap properly installed where the cable enters the home, if you have access to it. Should be a small junction block connecting two coax lines, and a sturdy wire that runs to a grounded point outside.

Your coax is more or less an antennae in a flexible tube, managing radio waves in a tube. Integrity of shielding and insulation both inside and outside the cable that helps preserve the ground plane distribution is VITAL to keeping that signal isolated from noise. And this one is VERY important for locking down that ground plane:

Make sure there are NO live lines not attached to a device--be that a VCR or a terminating cap. If you are unsure if a line is live, you can buy terminating caps somewhere like Lowes/Home Depot or online at the likes of Amazon/Walmart. It is basically just like it sounds... a little coaxial cap with a terminating resistor in it that just screws on the end of the coax. This will knock out the potential for any stray cell, wifi, cordless phones, and to varying degrees miscellaneous RFI from things like Microwaves, fluorescents, stereos and such from jumping directly into the signal and muddling things up.

• davidsopala

William, I see a large latency spike with an entire chat robotting out or talking like speedy Gonzales (likely SIP packets getting bogged down or all arriving super fast). Gaming becomes difficult as well when everything stops then starts going again. I am pretty sure that the int tracking the corrected packets rolled over multiple times as of right now it is at 3627357340 corrected and 73902 uncorrected. Problem tends to show up for a few minutes then goes back to normal then starts up again.

Raists, spectrum made a new direct run from outside to the modem there are no splitters/filters/connectors on the line just a connector in the box on the side of the house. The line does go through the attic, but all the networking in the house is CAT5e for individual rooms. I haven't seen it run next to the furnace or anything in the attic nor anywhere cross talk might become an issue ie parallel to power runs or anything. The local box thing is in my backyard as well. I'll check, but I don't think it is grounded at all from the exterior box, but the line is also buried up to the side of the house. Last night after my last power cycle I ran the coax to my UPS that has the modem / router / switch hoping that it might also act like a ground on the line (since the modem only has hot and neutral on the plug)

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Will you please try connecting just one device straight to the modem with an ethernet cable, reboot the modem to get an IP, and then test to see if the issue persists?

This discussion has been closed.