Caller ID on phones not registering correctly?

BBattersby
BBattersby Posts: 4 Spectator
edited May 2023 in Digital Phone

In the last week or so, incoming calls have registered as "person's name" out of area (no phone numbers). This is true for others calling me from their spectrum service and people calling from the ILEC carrier or cell phones. My sister's phone, 30 miles away (Spectrum service), shows the same info and blocks every call because she has AT&T smart blocking phones. Any idea what's going on?

Best Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor
    Answer ✓

Guys,

It's been reported by Spectrum tech support that the problem with Caller ID (Spectrum Voice) is with the following modem model number:

ET2251

As of April 3, 2023, the issue has persisted for about a week. According to another forum, the customer (in Wesley Chapel, Florida) reported that the issue began after Spectrum did an update to his/her voice service. Customer said Caller ID on TV works fine. But modem displays "Out of Area" for every caller. Sometimes just a name and "Out of Area."

Another customer in Saint Petersburg, Florida, has this same modem with no problems.

Satch

• LindaW
    LindaW Posts: 2 Spectator
    Answer ✓

On April 11th I reported the same issue with incoming calls not showing a phone number and just saying Out of Area. The Spectrum tech just left my house and determined it was the modem that was the issue. Modem ET2251. He replaced the modem and I now have Name and phone number appearing again on my phone. The most amazing issue is that this Tech, who has worked for Spectrum for over 4 years, was not aware of this issue. Why is Spectrum not alerting there Techs of this problem. The poor guy spent 1 1/2 here trying to determine the problem. I did inform him of this forum and the issues we have all been having, but wasn’t aware of the problem. He also contacted a few Techs in the field that were somewhat aware but didn’t know the fix. This Tech listened to me and replaced the modem with a different model and solved this problem for me. Good luck everyone. Hope this helps all of you having this issue.

Answers

• Satch

Hello and Welcome!

Is this for Caller ID on TV? Caller ID on Phone? Or is it doing it on both devices?

Try unplugging your modem for several minutes first and than plugging it back in. Next, do the same with your WIFI router. After about 30 minutes, test by having someone call you. If you are still getting strange phone data on your Caller ID on TV, call Spectrum, and tell the rep that you have already rebooted your modem and router.

Satch

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 317 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello @BBattersby

Welcome to the Community! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing caller ID issues and I am happy to look into this for you. Is this happening on home phone or Spectrum mobile?

• BBattersby

Thanks Jaleesa and Satch -- I'm sorry I wasn't clear there. All of these are home phone services: my own, my sister, her neighbor, and my neighbor's.

Tonight, after reading the community posts, I did a complete reboot on my own modem to see if it would display numbers again. I called from my cell, and it registered only "wireless caller". I also called from my Google Voice number which previously did display the number at least. It shows "out of area".

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 317 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

@BBattersby thank you for clarifying. If the caller ID is displaying "wireless caller" then it is now working correctly.

• BBattersby

Jaleesa--it used to register my name and the phone number. I can now report that EVERY call in the last 72 hours comes in as Out of Area. Just a name sometimes and Out of Area. So I can no longer tell if someone I know is calling from their cell or their home. Likewise, wireless call consistently comes in with Out of Area and no phone numbers.

• BBattersby

If anyone trips on this...tech support confirmed that the problem I described is a known problem with the modem model, and it's been a common cause for the last week.

• DennisV
    DennisV Posts: 5 Participant

Same here , exactly how does caller I'd make it from TV to phone. Is it through modem or internet. The said they would send note to engineering to resolve. Have et2251 also. Have b.s.e.e could not find any technical papers on internet. You would think a bad firmware update you would reverse it till software working ok. Thanks Dennis.

• DennisV

Also had to reprogram my att smart call to receive unknown or like above post stated all called will be blocked by att smartcall.

• Satch

Guys,

For those having problems, it might help to comment with your modem number and your zip code in order for investigators at Spectrum to route this issue. Especially if you have a different router model than the ET2251 that is causing the problems for some with that router model, but not all with that router model.

Satch

• DennisV
    edited April 2023

Traded in et2251 for es2251 reactivated , caller I'd now working. Thanks to form on fix i.e et2251 upgrade failed unit. Good luck to engineering.

• LindaW
    LindaW Posts: 2 Spectator

I’m having the same issue with my caller ID. My problem started the evening of April 5th. My phone system went out and then came back on an hour later and then the problem started. I’ve called Spectrum Technical Support they rebooted my modem and router and no success. Tech feels it is the modem. I do have an ET2255 also. We have a technician coming on Thursday. Hoping they are aware of this problem. I will show them this string of comments. I’ll let everyone know the outcome.

• Mom1216
    Mom1216 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I had a problem where all my calls coming in were blocked. Two techs later and they were still blocked. Finally, read on the internet to go into the software program and reset it. I did this and it worked but now I have the same problem as the rest of you. Everything says out of state and one tech erased all my calls that were blocked when he tried to fix the phone. I have tried resetting my system. Something I have been told to do numerous times in the last few days and still doesn't work. You would think that from all these postings for the last 2 weeks, Spectrum could give us an answer.

• Satch

Welcome to the forum @Mom1216 Some questions:

1.) Have you actually powered off the modem for several minutes and than plugged it back in to reset the device. Do this if you have not already done this.

2.) Do you have the modem that has been reported as being problematic ET2251? or a different model? What is the model number of that modem?

3.) Does every single number from your Spectrum Voice phone show "Out of Area?" I don't think "Out of State" is an option in the Spectrum Voice Database. When you say the "Call is blocked", what message shows on your caller ID for your phone? If you have Spectrum CATV service, what shows up on Caller ID on TV?

4.) Is Call Guard turned on?

5.) Are known numbers from friends and family getting through? Is their Caller ID information normal?

6.) When your techs came out, what did they say or do? Did they replace the modem?

7.) Any service or account changes within the last 30 days?

8.) What is your zip code? This can help techs isolate reported issues.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.