You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why is Enhanced Anonymous Call Rejection (EACR) Being Dropped on or After July 11, 2023?

Satch
Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor
edited September 2023 in Spectrum Archives: 2020 - Present

Guys,

I got a notice in this month's billing statement that "Enhanced Call Rejection was being dropped on or after July 11, 2023. It said we would be transitioned to "Basic Anonymous Call Rejection." (BACR.) Why are we losing this advanced feature? Do we have to do anything to enable BACR? Or will it be turned on automatically when the EACR is removed?

Satch

Best Answers

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 666 Contributor
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Last May, the FCC issued a pretty hard-core order for some big-time robocall mitigation loopholes for gateway providers to be closed. Not the least of which, in a nutshell, is that any gateway providers facilitating foreign-originated non-fixed VoIP calls with U.S. NANP-formatted numbers in the caller-id. # field without enforcing the STIR/SHAKEN caller id. verification protocol, will literally no longer be able to do so after June 30th after which will the enhanced part of Spectrum Voice eACR be thus rendered obsolete and redundant. The FCC is not jacking around, here, at all

🔗https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-22-37A1.pdf : paragraphs 53 (Requirement) & 59 (Compliance Deadline)

🔗https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-22-1303A1.pdf : section I., note 7. 

It’s remarkable how Spectrum Voice has had that eACR available as a stop-gap for the interim. My compliments to you, Satch, for raising the flag up the pole.

• Satch
    Answer ✓

Thank you @HT_Greenfield!

This should mean that after June 30, that there will be more FCC mandates to stop those Robocalls built-in through the STIR\SHAKEN technologies. Here is more information about what this means for phone customers:

Satch

Answers

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 341 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Good evening @Satch

Thank you for reaching out to us about The Enhanced Call Rejection being removed from our phone feature options. We have several options that can be used in its place.

Block Anonymous Calls

Using your handset:

Activate: Dial *77

Deactivate: Dial *87

Block Unwanted Callers

Compile a list of phone numbers to block any unwanted incoming calls.

Using your handset:

Activate: Dial *60

Deactivate: Dial *80

You can view the complete list of calling features.

-Lyn

• Satch

Good Evening, @Lyn_T

Thank you for this list! I am also aware that these features can be turned on/off through My Account in Voice Zone "Peace and Quiet" portal, so they are helpful. However, my question is not answered. What is the reason why Anonymous Enhanced Call Rejection is being removed?

One thought that I had was that Call Guard has been developed over the years, and is strong enough to replace Enhanced Call Rejection. I am looking for an official explanation for Enhanced Call Rejection's removal. What this feature does, is block callers who intentionally spoof their Caller ID. It was a great option! Thank you.

Satch

• Capt742000
    Capt742000 Posts: 1 Newcomer

How will this feature help since most of the calls I get are not anonymous, display a false ID. I once got a call fro me.

• normandroy
    normandroy Posts: 4 Spectator

I have to say that I got the same email and it was so poorly written/explained that I couldn't figure out what it meant. Going to the support page(s) was of no help either. If the response here is that the service is no longer available and that we have to punch in code numbers each time we get a call we consider spam - it is unworkable. Trying to remember all the codes is a nightmare.

Spectrum - you need to come up with a better work around; or at least a better explanation.

This discussion has been closed.