You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Do you want to continue watching spectrum app pops up every 30 seconds

RCaudle
RCaudle Posts: 12 Participant

Just started happening 2 days ago. I have restarted modem, redone the network connections, reinstalled the Spectrum app, done a factory reset on the Roku TV. I am at a loss for what to try next.

Tagged:

Answers

• Randy_S
    Randy_S Posts: 514 Spectrum Employee

Good evening and welcome to the Spectrum Community @RCaudle!

That is odd. Do you use the Spectrum TV app on other devices or through http://watch.spectrum.net ? If so, does it happen on those devices as well?

Randy

• RCaudle

When I watch on my desktop computer through the website, I have no issues. It also works fine through a Samsung Smart TV which has the app. I wanted to try on the Amazon Fire Stick, but they were kind enough to NOT have the Spectrum app there.

I am guessing this narrows it down to something on the TV or Roku.

It is just strange that it worked fine for a year.

• Randy_S
    Randy_S Posts: 514 Spectrum Employee

That is strange. If it was a hiccup with the app on the Roku we would have heard a lot more folks having the same issue and I am not seeing any alerts along those lines. From our Spectrum TV for Roku support page it says to make sure you have a 3rd generation or newer Roku. Does that apply to your Roku?

Randy

• RCaudle

I am not sure how to tell which generation Roku I have. The TV is from 2020. The software is up to date. I will keep trying everything. It seems to be less frequent today.

• RCaudle

LOL. Just as I say that it starts happening frequently again

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 666 Contributor

I don’t know but all i can figure is that the Roku NTP network time protocol synchronization is failing and then, while in failure mode, it retries every 30 seconds and each failure causes the Roku bandwidth saver for the Spectrum TV app/channel to re-up the “are you still watching” routine.

Reboot the cable modem and the router. Unplug the both of them from the AC power outlets and let them cool off for five minutes. Then plug the modem back in and wait for three minutes for it to get cooking again and then plug the router back in and go from there. 

If that doesn’t do the job, visit the Roku support and community discussions sites and find out how to make sure the Roku is syncing properly with its de facto NTP server and has the correct time zone and daylight savings time setting.

Beyond that, the only other thing to do would be to disable the Roku bandwidth saver on the Spectrum TV app/channel. 

🔗https://support.roku.com

🔗https://community.roku.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-Roku-Community/bd-p/welcome

🔗https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/bd-p/rokutv-discussions

• RCaudle

Thanks. I will try this. I have already turned off the bandwidth saver. FYI, I was able to watch Roku live TV with no issues, which suggests no connection problems?

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 666 Contributor

Here's somebody who fixed it by temporarily switching from Wi-Fi to Ethernet:

🔗https://community.spectrum.net/discussion/170245/constantly-getting-do-you-want-to-continue-watching-spectrum-tv-on-my-roku-tv-while-using-app

Here's somebody else who fixed it by disconnecting a byzantine connection of some kind:

🔗https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/Error-message-ref-Spectrum-tv/m-p/858590/highlight/true#M36037

Just for whatever any of that's worth.

• RCaudle

Hmmm... I may try the direct connection and see how that works. Thank you so much for your help.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,610 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

@RCaudle wrote:

Thanks. I will try this. I have already turned off the bandwidth saver. FYI, I was able to watch Roku live TV with no issues, which suggests no connection problems?

You mentioned you were able to watch live TV on Roku. Does the issue only occur when you are watching OnDemand programming?

• RCaudle

No. I meant watching TV through the live channels offered through Roku. They work fine.

Update: I connected through ethernet and it didn't fix the problem. Ugh.

I think it should be pretty safe to assume it is not the connection at this point.

• James_M

Gotcha. Actually, what you describe does point to a connectivity issue. The Spectrum TV app can be extremely sensitive to small fluctuations in the signal from the modem. I'd like to send some refresh signals to modem ( I was able to locate your account based on your registration information) and see if the helps. Let me know if that is ok, as it may cause a brief interruption.

• RCaudle

Fire away. There are a couple of modems. It is the last one added.

• James_M

Thanks for confirming. The refresh signals have been sent. Please also delete and reinstall the app on the Roku as well as restart the Roku from the settings menu to ensure that the cache is cleared and any old information is flushed. Then, please test the app again and let us know if the issue continues.

• RCaudle

It continues still. I give up for today. I am not sure how / why it changed all of the sudden.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor

@RCaudle ,

Sorry for your frustration with the Spectrum app when paired with Ruku. Do you have a cable box/TV set up as an alternate that you can use to watch your shows?

Satch

• RCaudle

I don't know why it is not on Fire Stick. That would give me another avenue. I don't have a box in my space.

Just out of curiosity, did something change with the app like one week ago?

• RCaudle

Update:

I took my TV to my brother's place just to see if it was something with my network. At his house, the app didn't give me the "continue watching". So I assumed it was either my modem or my router. But when I returned the TV to my place, the error has now gone away (at least for now). Very strange.

• James_M
    edited June 2023

@RCaudle,

Thanks for the update. Best guess is that unplugging the TV / device (when you moved it to take to your brother's place) forced a reset that cleared any errors or settings that were causing the message to pop up. Glad to hear the message stopped, let us know if the issue returns.

• RCaudle

I am not sure. I had tried unplugging the TV overnight before that. I think it was something about connecting to a new network on a different modem. Don't know how. I am just happy it is fixed -- for now.

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee

Thank you for letting us know. If you need any further assistance, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.