Xumo Stream Box

Options
1235»

Answers

• Larry
    Larry Posts: 5 Participant
    Options

Like the poster above, I now find that Xumo does not have many of the apps that I use - Crackle, Classic TV, and American Family. Sorry now that I even got the Xumo Stream Box. Probably give it another couple of days and will then disconnect it and go back to using Roku for watching TV. Complete waste of money. Would not recommend this Xumo Stream Box to anyone.

• NanaTC
    NanaTC Posts: 44 Contributor
    Options

I did the trial for the Xumo, did surveys asking what needed to be fixed, changed or added. I mentioned an app store and app customization in every survey, but Spectrum obviously doesn’t take feedback seriously.

The Xumo is good for customers who want it for the Spectrum TV app and to save money on receivers. Other than that most won’t be satisfied.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,319 Contributor
    Options

More Feedback on the Xumo,

Going around the Internet with Xumo Feedback seems to indicate the following:

60% are not happy with the Xumo because of the following:

1.) There is no ability to pause live TV, even with cloud DVR service.

2.) It takes too many button presses to navigate menus. Competitor streaming boxes are easier to use.

3.) There is no way to customize or modify your apps.

4.) There is no app store in which to add new apps

40% think it's just OK, but it needs work, and site the same reasons as indicated above.

My feeling is that it is too big of a challenge for elderly people and those who are not used to new technology. I hate the Smart TV remote on my Samsung and everything about it. I live with an elderly person who could never use this new service.

I will be requesting traditional DVR's until this box has major, improvements. If you go online and research, Spectrum's CEO Chris Winfrey absolutely loves the Xumo box. I don't know if he is aware of the above issues that I addressed. These are not small complaints from users, they are major concerns.

Remember if you are a new Spectrum customer, you must request in the work order that you want a traditional box, or a traditional DVR, or you will get this new device.

Satch

• Larry
    Larry Posts: 5 Participant
    Options

I agree. The only thing this Spectrum Stream Box is good for is to watch Spectrum channels. The only reason I got it was because I was paying over $33 a month for 3 cable boxes. It is totaly useless for streaming other services.

• Korona165
    Korona165 Posts: 86 Contributor
    Options

I have been using the Xumo with the Spectrum TV App and streaming apps. And after using it for some time I think I have to go back to Roku and the standard DVR boxes. My top things that have to get fixed before I think about using the Xumo again. The main issue it the remote has no FF or RR button(I know there is a work around). But I have no clue what they were talking. How they they over looked this I just don't get it. This has to be fixed. The next issue is with the Spectrum TV App and the Cloud DVR. When you do RR or FF the picture doesn't move to tell you where you are. You have stop and guess with the FF and RR is hard to work it is annoying. I mean Hulu and are the streaming apps can do this now why can't Spectrum. Last I thing Spectrum needs to make it more easy to get to My Library(DVR) in the Spectrum TV App. That's my biggest issues.

• Jb_socal
    Jb_socal Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited November 2023
    Options

The development makes no sense. It’s not rocket science, do at least what competitors do in the market. Did they do that. Take the two letters past M in the alphabet.

bad

1. no live tv pause
    2. crashes and freezes - reboot device by unplugging wtf it’s 2023 right.

good

PQ is ok

it was able to turn on tv and receiver and soundbar with 1 button

the arc seems to pick it up and function

• Caro11yn
    Caro11yn Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Hate the Xumo stream remote, so currently using TV remote for amazon (which allows for pausing, etc. and fighting to use the Xumo remote through trial and error as there are no instructions for the remote, how to use and Spectrum support is ZERO, not sure they know how to use the remote. VERY user UNfriendly. Will be switching to HULU Live soon. VERY NOT impressed.

• Korona165
    Options

I agree but don't you think after sometime they will come out with a updated remote? I would think they would have to. As we know on the Spectrum TV App you can't pause RR live TV. On Fubo you can so it is something that can be done.

• Korona165
    Options

The issue is on the Cloud DVR for Xumo and Roku. It's very simple when you FF through commercials the picture doesn't move along when FF. So you have keep guessing when to stop. This should be fixed ASAP.

• blackbutterfly
    blackbutterfly Posts: 24 Contributor
    Options

I decided to give the Xumo stream box a try because I'm so tired of the buffering and freezing issues with my Spectrum TV app for Roku. I've seen posts from other people about it and suggestions are made to fix it, but they dont work.

Here are my likes:

1. The response time on the Xumo is definitely faster when viewing dvr recordings and on-demand shows. There's no buffering or freezing. Makes you wonder if the problem with the Roku isn't being fixed intentionally so the Xumo looks better. 

2. I like that you can navigate down to select your recent channels or continue watching a recording or on-demand show. 

Here are my dislikes:

1. Since there aren't any playback buttons for ff,rwd,pause,play, you have to use the navigation circle with the button in the middle. This is okay but could be improved by not having to press the middle button first, then ff or rwd. Too many steps. Also, it would be helpful if a short left press would do a 10 sec. skip back and a long left press to rewind. Other apps such as AppleTV+ and Netflix have this set-up. 

2. There are no screensavers apps if you don't want your TV to shut off. 

3. No apps for weather or news such as cbs news. 

• blackbutterfly
    Options

I have an update on #1 of my dislikes. I suggested a 10 second skip back on rewind and it looks like it was implemented. However, instead of skipping back 10 seconds and then stopping, it skips back continuously. It skips back 10 secs, then 20, then 30, etc. and it's goes too fast. I appreciate the modification, but the point of skipping back 10 secs is because you want to see what happened in the last few seconds. A regular rewind would be to view something far back.

• blackbutterfly
    Options

One more note, the 10 sec skip back should work like the skip back button on the Roku.

• Korona165
    edited November 2023
    Options

Xumo is slow when opening up 3rd party apps compared to Roku and Fire TV. I am not sure what happened but the Spectrum TV App doesn't s seem as fast and smooth anymore? It buffers a bit more and slow to load command windows and not as fast to respond to users inputs. It's still faster and better then the Roku App but it doesn't seem like before. Did they update it to a new version that might of affect it?

Also the guide on the Xumo lacks some features that the regular cable boxes have(Spectrum Guide, Word Box's). The cable box guide has the word "NEW" that tells you if the show is new or a repeat. Also the cable box guide lists LIVE GAME information if you scroll over a sports event in the guide. I understand the guide should be simple but I think it could be better.

• NanaTC
    Options

The Xumo software has been updated several times since it became available to the public. Each time its updated it gets worse, mine is slower too. I've had to restart it which means unplugging it several times lately and thats irritating. Every streaming device I have except the Xumo has the option to restart in the settings. Spectrum definitely needs to add a restart feature, unplugging is BS.

• Korona165
    Options

I have been using it more and was very close to returning our two cable boxes. But ten I noticed the Xumo was running slower than normal. The Spectrum App is slow and some of the most popular streaming Apps are slow to load command to Roku,Fire TV. Even when you're watching something and hit the home button it takes longer now to return home. All the Xumo that first came out are hardware version 1.1 maybe all of these updates are pushing the hardware limits. Just like some pcs can't run Windows 11 and some work better than others. Because of better hardware I think we might be seeing a small problem here. My opinion I don't think Xumo will be around that long. You can see Comcast has not made any finalizing plans. So they are unsure.

• NanaTC
    Options

Reboot the Xumo by unplugging it for 30 seconds then plug it back up and turn it on. This will make it run smoother. When it gets slow again reboot it again

• Korona165
    Options

Ever since the last update the spectrum TV App has been running slow and crashing a lot. It use to work so much better when Xumo first came out and before new updates came out to. I press guide and wait about 10 to 15 seconds after until the guide loads. That's just one example. I hope they fix this.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,090 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hi @Korona165. Please try rebooting your modem and router. If the issue persists, reinstall the Spectrum TV app and reboot the Xumo.

• NanaTC
    Options

Unless I'm missing something there is no way to uninstall and reinstall the Spectrum TV app or any other app on the Xumo Stream Box. If I'm wrong please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.