Wireless interlinking

Options
hanshotfirst1138
hanshotfirst1138 Posts: 3 Spectator

Why can't I wireless interlink with devices like my Chromcasts or my virtual TV and Roku app remotes? I spent nearly 30 minutes on a chat with Spectrum last night and after rebooting the router and my iPhone, screwing up all of my settings on the latter, I was able to get to the virtual remotes and Chromecasts back up, although I still couldn't cast YouTube straight to Roku like I could with AT&T. Then I left the house and when I came back and reconnected to the WiFi, it was all not working again. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the settings in my Spectrum router, but I can't change those, can I? Please tell me that there's an easy solution that I'm missing and that I'm not SOL….

Comments

• hanshotfirst1138
    Options

Now it’s doing intermittently. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. There has to be some determining factor.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,135 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hi @hanshotfirst1138, welcome to our community!

Some problems might arise for devices that don't have their own interface and instead connect through other devices, if they are 2.4Ghz only and the other device has 5Ghz capabilities. If you give us a call at 1-855-707-7328​​​ we can disable "band steering" for that device for 1 hour, giving you time to get all of your devices connected.

If the issue is intermittent, it might be something different. If that doesn't help, could you elaborate what happens when you try to cast or pair devices? Any error messages?

• hanshotfirst1138
    edited May 21
    Options

I've done some research on this topic, and apparently the issue is apparently band steering. I've been told by several people to purchase a new router without this feature, but bluntly, I spent quite a bit of money on the new service and frankly, being told this is pretty frustrating. I've tried to turn of band steering, but it doesn't seem like something that the consumer can change. I've had two Spectrum techs come to the house, and neither seemed to have any idea about these issues. I had to look them up myself. Excuse me for being so frank, but this is really not very convenient at all and I REALLY don't want to purchase a new router of my own, and the techs sent to the house and on customer chat should have been aware of this issue. If the "band steering" is delayed for an hour, won't I wind up with the exact same issue once the devices reconnect? Do I need to call or can this be done via chat?

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,135 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Any agent can disable band steering for you, I'm sorry they didn't understand the issue you were having before. Once connected your devices should remember that network and automatically reconnect, though it's possible they could forget it at some point and you would need to contact us again to set that back up.