You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

How to increase my WiFi signal?

ron74
ron74 Posts: 1

I recently moved into a newer larger home with lots of stone and granite.  My  router is a Ubee DVW 32 CB, which in my old home provided a very good signal.  However, it no longer provides a strong WiFi signal on the first floor in the room furthest from the router.  Anyone have a suggestion as to how to extend the signal?  Should I ask Spectrum for a diiferent router ( I don’t need voice) or is there an WiFi extender that would work.?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• dstoffa
    dstoffa Posts: 1,014 Contributor

All-in-ones do not offer the best WiFi coverage.

I recommend you buy a good Wireless Router with large external antennas.  Tell Spectrum to turn the all-in-one they've given you into bridge-mode, and use your own router.  (You'll save $5 per month and eliminate the Wi-Fi fee - the router will pay for itself in no time, and you keep Spectrum out of your home network).

A router with large antennas may provide all the coverage you need.  I'd shy away from repeaters, because they effectively cut your bandwidth in half.  If I needed more coverage elsewhere, I'd look into powerline adapters and installing a second router (on a different wifi channel) put in access-point mode.

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor
    To add to @dstoffa, spend the extra for a higher end model... at least a dual-core processor. Not just because you will pretty much be getting the better features of the class that way, but more because bandwidth plans are progressively increasing. The more devices we throw on our networks to gobble up that bandwidth, the more processing power we will need to keep things running smoothly. (It is more of a future proofing kind of thing).

A key bonus feature though is that MU-MIMO becomes more common at this level, which will help out with managing multiple devices. If you can score Tri-Band support as well, it can make quite a difference if you have a lot of items running a mix of N only and AC capable wireless devices. You can find these for around the $150 mark or less (like the linksys max-stream AC2200). Prices have been dropping since more high end "gaming class" routers have hit the market, so shop around and read the reviews to make sure you are getting good bang for the buck.
  • Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor

I agree,

Purchase a router that is AC series.  This will give you the best dynamic signal range.  Remember to update the firmware and to change your administrative password for best security.  I recommend a single router, (no combo) unit, and getting the Netgear brand.

Satch

• Cajobe
    Cajobe Posts: 1
    Get a router from spectrum it's free.
  • dstoffa
    dstoffa Posts: 1,014 Contributor

@Cajobe wrote:
    Get a router from spectrum it's free.

A modem is free.  A router is not free.  They will charge you $5 per month if you ask them to enable an all-in-one modem/router's routing features (Home Wifi).

• Julia_R
    Julia_R Posts: 4,661 Contributor

@ron74

Are you able to move the modem/router to a more central location? You can hook 

it up there and take a look at the signal page to see if it is capable of running a 

solid connection. 

Where is the modem/router located? On a shelf up high? In a cabinet? Is it 

near other electrical equipment that may be interfering with the wireless? 

Regards,
    Julia R.
    Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
    Lead Moderator-Community Forums

This discussion has been closed.