You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

How to set up a separate guest network for wifi for solar provider access?

Ede_Lu
Ede_Lu Posts: 14 Participant

my solar company has informed us that they want our wifi password, access to our internet in order for them to monitor the solar system. i feel this is an invasion of of our privacy and don’t exactly want their employees having access to our wifi, is there anything i can set up that would give them a separate access to the internet

Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,611 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited January 2022

Hi and welcome!

Asking for a WiFi password does sound odd. I'd be interested to know more about how the monitoring is set up. I would think that most companies would have an app or built in software that would connect to the WiFi using a customer interface where only the customer enters the information, similar to a streaming service, security camera or other device. Have you asked if there is an alternative to providing the password?

As a general rule, you should never give out passwords, including WiFi passwords. It opens you up to security vulnerabilities and since it impossible to know who has access, identifying a breach would be a headache. One possible alternative would be to use a router to set up a guest network with a separate password and give the solar company access to the guest network only, similar to a guest network you might see at a vacation rental, coffee spot or a restaurant.

I'll leave this post open, in case anyone else has suggestions or additional questions.

• Ede_Lu

thanks for confirming my doubts about allowing this. i gave them false information when they asked, but the ones i’m emailing with insist they need this access. i don’t care for any of their employees to have this information. i can’t understand how they wouldn’t have a system of their own. what would i do to make a guest network? buy a router and then what? can you walk me through the steps to get me started. thanks for your suggestion and for confirming my feelings about it.

• James_M

What equipment do you currently have and how is your home network set up?

• Ede_Lu

it’s a router from spectrum. i was given a number and a password and that’s been the setup.

• Ede_Lu

would setting up a Wireless Dual-Band Router to my current spectrum router/modem do the job? or does the second router have to be completely separate from the other one? i’ve read two routers can cause interference, so i want to make sure i’d set this up right. if i connect a second rounder to my spectrum will i have to configure it, so they’re separate and both working?

• James_M

You are correct, having two routers would potentially cause interference. If you are planning to set up a guest network, it is preferred to just use one router that has the ability to be modified to your needs. I am renaming this post, hopefully one of our other customers with a similar experience will have some additional suggestions.

• Ede_Lu

can my spectrum modem/router be configured to give me a second guest network, or would i need a separate router?

• Ede_Lu

i’ve read spectrum routers don’t allow for a guest network set up that i do have to get a second router for this set up.

• Ede_Lu

okay my current spectrum modem/router is connected through a cord similar to a cable tv. nothing is plugged into the ethernet ports.

if i buy a new router and plug it into those ethernet ports is it going to give me a separate network from the current one i’m using?

would it be safer and equally as fast to plug into this new network and let the solar company have access to the spectrum modem/ router?

what i’m concerned with is if we switch ourselves to this other modem will the speed be the same?

is there another way to connect the ethernet cable from the new router?

the router i’m looking at only connects via ethernet and i’m guessing is meant to be plugged into the spectrum modem/router?

• Paul_B
    Paul_B Posts: 577 Spectrum Employee

What you would do is plug the new router directly into the modem and eliminate the Spectrum router. It is not required that you use our router. Once you get your new router, you would want to take the Spectrum router back to a Spectrum store so that the router can be removed from the account and the monthly charge can be removed as well.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply to this post.

Paul_B

This discussion has been closed.