You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

On the Apple TV 4k platform I have audio but no video. How do I fix this problem?

davidashcroft
davidashcroft Posts: 7 Spectator

Spectrum TV App on the Apple TV 4k device: fails to provide video (picture)

Apple TV 4k: M/N: A2169 (2nd Gen.) 64GB in service since May 2021 tvOS 15.2

Spectrum TV App version 8.41 updated 1/10/2022

Up until the morning of 1/20/2022 I had very few issues using the Spectrum app. On that morning the app no longer rendered an image on the screen. I only had audio. I was able to adjust audio levels and change channels using my memory and flying blind. 

I am uncertain exactly when the most recent update of Spectrum app was loaded onto my Apple TV 4k device. Its is set to automatically update and therefore I do not monitor this activity. 

On the evening of 1/20/2022 I was on the phone for an aggregate of 4 hours with both Spectrum and Apple customer service. I was bounced around like a pin ball between the two. Each insisting it was the others issue. 

The only variable I can see in this scenario is the recent update of the Spectrum TV app. The update history states that the update fixed a few display bugs that occasionally caused display issues. This is a smoking gun to me.  

Best Answers

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 649 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @davidashcroft

Welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear about the Apple TV issues and that you got bounced around so much. At any point when you were speaking with us or Apple Care, did they have you remove the app, reboot the Apple TV, and then reinstall the app?

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,611 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Hi @davidashcroft

I can understand your frustration. You mention above that you are now seeing the same issue on other apps, including Peacock and Paramount+. Since these apps are not Spectrum owned, that points to an equipment issue rather than an issue with any of the apps, including Spectrum TV app.

When you restarted the Apple TV, if you restarted from the settings menu, please try restarting again from the remote, by holding the menu and home button together at the same time until the Apple TV restarts

If the issue persists, other steps to try include removing the power source for ten seconds, then plugging it back in. After that, you should try swapping the HDMI for a different HDMI cord to rule out a cabling issue.

Last, you can try a factory reset of the Apple TV. Keep in mind this will reset the Apple TV to out of the box settings and any configurations, including set up and WiFi will need to be done again.

Hope these additional steps help resolve the issue!

Answers

• davidashcroft

I did remove the app, reboot the Apple TV, and then reinstall the app but it did not fix the problem.

I also discovered today the three other apps are exhibiting this problem but only when live streaming.

Apps exhibiting problem:

Spectrum TV App (no video at all)

Peacock App (no video when live streaming)

Paramount+ (no video when live streaming)

CNN Go (no video when live streaming)

• Heather_T
    Heather_T Posts: 121 Contributor

Thanks @@davidashcroft.

Was your modem rebooted as well? If not, can you try rebooting the modem as well then relaunch the app and let us know if the problem still occurs?

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,611 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @davidashcroft

I can understand your frustration. You mention above that you are now seeing the same issue on other apps, including Peacock and Paramount+. Since these apps are not Spectrum owned, that points to an equipment issue rather than an issue with any of the apps, including Spectrum TV app.

When you restarted the Apple TV, if you restarted from the settings menu, please try restarting again from the remote, by holding the menu and home button together at the same time until the Apple TV restarts

If the issue persists, other steps to try include removing the power source for ten seconds, then plugging it back in. After that, you should try swapping the HDMI for a different HDMI cord to rule out a cabling issue.

Last, you can try a factory reset of the Apple TV. Keep in mind this will reset the Apple TV to out of the box settings and any configurations, including set up and WiFi will need to be done again.

Hope these additional steps help resolve the issue!

• davidashcroft

All of a sudden after three days of not working the picture came back. Nothing significant had changed in my devices at home. I therefore conclude it was a faulty signal from SPECTRUM. Of course, I don't expect SPECTRUM to acknowledge such a deficiency or to compensate me for lack of service for three days.

This discussion has been closed.