You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

"Your TV supports A Higher Resolution" message continues to appear.

wrogers
wrogers Posts: 3 Spectator

"Your TV supports A Higher Resolution" message appears each time I turn on the TV. I have confirmed the video resolution but the message keeps appearing whenever I turn on the TV. I have an ARRIS DCX3600-M cable box and a Samsung TV Model QN65Q80AAFXZA. I have unplugged the cable box and plugged it back in to reset it and the same to the TV. I have also changed the HDMI cable to the one supplied by Spectrum. I have also swapped boxes with Spectrum and the problem persists. The cable box is running the updated Spectrum Guide. Will there be a firmware update to correct this problem? I can't see a difference in resolution when I confirm the resolution message. It's just a nuisance.

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,305 Contributor
    edited January 2022

Hello and Welcome to the Community @wrogers!

This was an issue affecting some boxes and TV's running Spectrum Guide about a year ago on some TV's. It affected a small number of customers, and than it seemed to go away. I want to thank you for posting this because by opening this topic it will show that this bug still exists. You are right. You go to Settings, and the Spectrum Guide shows that the highest resolution is already selected.

A search query of forum topics shows that this is not a new issue:

Some questions for you:

1.) When you turn on your box and TV, how often and how long does this message appear before it goes away?

2.) Did your box already come with the Spectrum Guide on it or was this an update from an existing cable guide? (Tip- To find out the name of the guide that you previously had if you had a previous guide on the box, Google search Spectrum, "What Guide do I have?") On the first listing or so that appears, click on that, enter your street address at that Spectrum site and tell us the name of the guide you had on the box previously. If you have always had Spectrum Guide on the box, you don't need to answer this question.

3.) What is the make and model of your TV?

Satch

• wrogers
    1. This message appears about every time I turn it on when it has been off more than a few minutes. The message appears for about 10-15 seconds. When I confirm to update the resolution the confirmation screen gives me about 10 seconds to confirm the new resolution or else it says it will go back to the previous resolution.
    2. I currently have the latest guide for spectrum receivers. When I got my new Samsung TV, a Spectrum technician came out and updated the outside connection to my house because the connection was old and did not support my TV and I was having pixel problems. At that time, the technician took my old cable box and installed a new cable box using the old guide (the old Time Warner Cable remote URSU-8400). That was when the message appeared. I contacted Spectrum Support and it was then I swapped cable boxes and received the Arris box with the latest guide remote. However, the problem continues.
    3. The new TV is a Samsung model QN65Q80AAFXZA.
  • Satch
    edited January 2022

Thanks for this!

Spectrum, I imaged searched this, and the model that @wrogers supplied looks exactly like my TV, only mine has a smaller screen (I have a 50 inch Samsung)  Got my set from Amazon last April. My set's model number is below:

Model:UN50TU8000FXZA

SKU:6401436

I still run ODN Navigator on my Cisco 9865 box. But I would like to see this issue resolved before the new guide gets pushed to my box.

Satch

• Satch

Best advice,

If you are running New Spectrum Guide, and you are still getting the "Your TV Supports a Higher Resolution" Bug upon turning on your box, reply here with the following:

1.) Make and model of box running Spectrum Guide.

2.) Make and model of TV, (like I did above) you don't need the SKU number, that is the stock number when I got it from Amazon.

3.) Whether the "High Resolution" message appears every time you turn on your box or randomly. Spectrum needs to get this bug killed, permanently!.

Satch.

• wrogers

Still getting the "High Resolution" message.

ARRIS DCX3600-M cable box

Samsung TV Model QN65Q80AAFXZA

The "High Resolution" message appears randomly but mostly every time I turn it on.

• Satch

Sup @wrogers,

Unfortunately, this won't be an overnight fix. Spectrum has to get enough people who have this issue with new Spectrum Guide and their TV's to escalate the problem. They need at least three people reporting something to move the issue up in escalation. Six or more gets highest priority. They have to collect data from the TV set makes and model numbers that are doing this, test boxes that have Spectrum Guide, find sets with this glitch, do more testing, and than get the developers to design, test, and impliment a firmware update for Spectrum Guide, and download it to the boxes to stop the "Your TV Supports a Higher Resolution" glitch message, when the box is turned on. This could be a couple of months.

Everyone needs to post the make and model of their TV, and the box running Spectrum Guide who is getting this message. The more people who respond, the higher up in escalation it will go up the chain of command, When you are reporting this, at the form here, on Twitter, Facebook, Phone Call, you will need to provide your TV make and model number, and the box type that is running Spectrum Guide.

What is known is that the issue is not widespread to many TV's. In another forum where we had a topic on this, (Not an official Spectrum forum btw) I popped in to ask if anyone had been affected by the Spectrum Guide, "Your TV Supports a Higher Resolution" bug when the box is turned on. And the reply was, "This is the first I have heard of this issue for about a year." But this evidence shows that there are still a significant percentage of TV's affected by this guide bug. And within those TV models, it is affecting our Cisco 9865 boxes, and another report of some customers with Arris 3600 boxes. In each instance, they all run New Spectrum Guide.

With Samsung TV's being the most popular, I think that many more with these sets and new Spectrum Guide may be affected by this, but they are simply not reporting it. The only consolation, and it's not much of one, is that the message goes away after about 10 seconds.

One workaround might be if this is making you nuts, to turn off the TV with the Power Button instead of the All Power (System) button on your remote, Report back if that makes a difference. In the meantime, get neighbors and friends who have this "Resolution" message bug to report this issue. Let's hope for a fix sooner, rather than later,

Satch

• psternklar
    psternklar Posts: 9 Participant
    edited January 2022

Hello,

Using a 9865 box on Spectrum guide all going through a Denon receiver. I get this message if I switch to my box from a different source (such as Roku or DVD). If I do not switch then I do not get the message. It seems to have started with the most recent s/w update a couple of months ago. Was happening in the past then stopped until recently.

TV is Sony XBR-55X900E

Phil

• psternklar

My problem was fixed with a box exchange.

• Satch
    edited January 2022

@psternklar,

What was the make and model of box you got in the box exchange that stopped the "High Resolution" message bug? OP said that he swapped boxes and still got the message. @psternklar, In your above post, you said the message has returned, correct?

Satch

• psternklar

it started about 2months ago when I also started to have problems recording series 9865 exchanged for same

• Satch

Thanks @psternklar!

Is the high res bug gone now? It seems that only a few are getting this message on select TV's. There appears to be no functionality loss of Spectrum Guide with this error message, nor a change of resolution for those who get this message. Just a 10 second annoyance bug, affecting some sets and configurations running Spectrum Guide when they turn on their box.

For those still affected by this, I would still recommend posting your box type and make and model of TV. We may have to wait for a firmware update for the affected boxes,or take a 50/50 chance on whether or not the bug will still be there with a box swap.

Satch

• Diverdan316
    Diverdan316 Posts: 47 Contributor

I have a Arris DCX3600-M dvr box from Spectrum I have a Vizio tv hooked up to it on hdmi 1 I have a question for you do you have the dvr set to 1080i for output resolution my arris DCX3600-M box is set to that answer back for another question I have if it's not set to that on your box

• psternklar

Satch, yes all ok now.

This discussion has been closed.