You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Internet disconnects multiple times a day

OhioHasCorn
OhioHasCorn Posts: 4 Spectator

Hello, I seem to have an issue similar to others here where my internet connection drops out multiple times a day. I'd like to start the process of troubleshooting and collecting whatever information would be needed to resolve the issue. I worked from home full-time for several months in 2020 without any problems. But for the past several months we've been getting so many disconnects I can't work from home anymore. There have been no changes to the equipment or wiring in this time. I have cycled the power on the modem (including disconnecting the coax) and the router. The modem is an Arris Surfboard SB6141. I've attached an image from the modem status page. It seems that the Upstream power level is a little low based on the modem documentation. It has been a bit since I've looked at the modem lights during a disconnection. I will try to do that or have a family member do it as I'm not home during the day. I will update this post with that information. For now, would you please see if there is anything you can do on your (Spectrum) side? It seems with some posts that you are able to see issues and resolve them. Also, let me know if there is anything else I can do that will help troubleshoot the issue.

Thank you.

Tagged:

Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @OhioHasCorn, welcome to our community!

Sorry for the trouble with your internet. I don't see any problems with the signal levels, but looking at the connection history I do see frequent instances of the modem going offline for a few minutes then coming back on. I recommend checking that the coaxial cable is firmly connected to the modem and wall outlet, but the main thing that is standing out to me is the age of the modem, it has been on your account for at least 6 years and is a model that was first released in 2012 so it could be even older. It is also only approved for speeds up to 100 Mb/s which is lower than our starting speeds. If the coaxial cable is firmly connected and these disconnects continue I would try purchasing a newer modem, or we can provide a replacement free of charge at our Spectrum stores or by calling 1-855-707-7328.

• OhioHasCorn

Thanks for the response. I picked up the modem and will install it tonight. I will follow up.

• OhioHasCorn

I installed the new modem yesterday. The disconnects are still happening, but the new modem recovers much more quickly. Hopefully with it being a Spectrum modem and much newer it will help to troubleshoot the issue. If it helps, there were disconnects at 8:15pm, 9:02pm, and 11:10pm. Please let me know if there is any other information that would help. There are no kinks or splits in the line and the only splitter is outside from when the line was split between Internet and TV.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,610 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited July 2022

Thanks. What device(s) are you using when you see the drops and are they connected wireless?

Also, looking a little deeper in the modem logs, I am seeing a high number of T3 errors and uncorrectable errors. This would require a service call to address and correct. If you would like assistance setting one up, please let us know.

• OhioHasCorn

Hi James. The router is showing that the single is lost and it is connect to the modem by ethernet cable. Most other devices are wireless to the router, but the Xbox is wired and it loses single also. I will take your information and schedule a service call. Thank you.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,610 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

You're welcome. I also added a note to your account, so the recommedation for a service call has been documented.

This discussion has been closed.