You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Will I lose Emails

Lee_469
Lee_469 Posts: 5 Spectator

Hello, I have been a long time customer and have TV, Internet and Cell phones with Charter/Spectrum. If I decide to cancel my Internet Service, will I lose all my emails on my account? Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 673 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello @Lee_469

Welcome to our community! Spectrum email addresses are tied to the Internet service, so cancelling the Internet service would delete the email account as well.

• Lee_469

Hello,

But if the email is tied to the internet service, what about the billing and other info tied to the emails?

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee

You would have to update your email address with those companies and if there is anything within your email account that you need forward that to your new email address so that you do not lose those.

• Lee_469

I wish I could keep my service, but I pay $75 for internet. 500mbps download /25mbps upload. I need better more upload. ATandT has 300 up and down for $15 less, no equipment cost and constant service during power outages. I really would like to work something out, I need the email service to continue. My small business and personal emails, that I have had for over 25 years, are important for banking, advertising, businesses, etc. What can I do to keep them on? Thanks.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,308 Contributor

Yes,

If you drop Spectrum as an ISP and you use their email, you will lose your email and email contacts Before making that change,. I would print out your email contacts and than transfer them to Yahoo Mail, Gmail, or Outlook.com. They are totally free and web-based. Download the ad-blocker Ghostery to stop the banner ads on all browsers in which you use the free email. You can keep webmail for life, and can switch devices and ISP's. All you need is a browser and Internet connection.

Satch

• Lee_469

What do i do to keep my emails? What is webmail and how do i get to it?

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,308 Contributor

Hello @Lee_469,

Webmail is any email provider that you can use without the need for an Internet Service Provider's (ISP mail.) The advantages of using webmail such as Yahoo Mail, Gmail, or Outlook.com is that they are free, and you can access them from any PC or device, such as a phone or tablet with an Internet Connection. If you change Internet companies, your webmail account stays with you for the rest of your life as long as you log in to it from time to time. You go to the webmail site of your choice and sign up. You have this account forever!

A Webmail provider is more secure than an ISP provider. Cable providers, generally are not email experts and provide email as a general courtesy to customers. But most of them are not as secure as an Internet based-email provider, If you use webmail, you will need an ad blocker to stop the ads. I recommend Ghostery for all of your web-browsers:

I would recommend Gmail for you. It is super secure and very custmizable for indivdual needs. Just type gmail into your browser to get started and sign up. after installing the Ghostery extention above. Ghostery will stop banner ads and trackers, as you browse the web, giving you needed provacy. Critical for business communications. Webmail, such as Gmail, Outlook.com, and Yahoo Mail is always updated, and is more secure for communications. Gmail also automatically gives you Google Drive. A free outstanding web-based Office suite similar to Microsoft Office. Millions of traditional users and businesses use Gmail in connection with Google Drive.

When you get your Gmail account set up and your Ghostery ad blocker installed, you will need to forward all Spectrum email that you want to keep to your new email address. You can also create customizable folders in Gmail to archive impprtant documents. Type Gmail tutorials when visiting You Tube for excellent resources on how to work with Gmail and use its many features. You can still keep Spectrum for your Internet provider, as I have done. You just don't use them for email anymore. Good luck!

Satch

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,706 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

@Lee_469

I was able to locate your account based on your registration information. I can see that you are also a Spectrum mobile customer. For awareness, there is a monthly discount of $20 per line that is also associated with your internet service. If you cancel internet service, you will no longer be eligible for the discount. As an example, if you have two mobile lines, that means the mobile bill will increase by $40 per month if internet service is cancelled. Hopes this information helps in making any decisions about your subscription.

• Lee_469

This doesn't help because I already added the ATandT Fiber so I can keep up with the times. I needed faster uploads for my work at home and Spectrum wouldn't give this to me. Bummmerrrr... I am now going to pay for both since it won't really save me anything. I will use the Spectrum only on rare occasions as ATandT is faster, and I can keep all the emails I have. My loyalty to Spectrum is just a number and not a person. I would switch everything but I need the TV channels for Shows, Commercials and Local Events I edit and play on local channels. I am working two jobs to help my mom who is on a fixed income and was hoping these changes would save me a few dollars, but, it is costing me more. UGHGHGhhhh....

This discussion has been closed.