You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Spectrum Remote Code doesnt work

cpalacio
cpalacio Posts: 3 Spectator

Hi

I have a Spectrum SR-002-R remote. I watch cable tv and also OTA tv.

Is there anyway to have the remote control OTA channels or is it locked into only change channels on the cable box.

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,273 Contributor
    edited September 2022

Welcome to the forum @cpalacio!

Over the air channels, as well as any additional channels, in your package plan would all be controlled by your Spectrum Cable box Remote through this configuration. Spectrum Select for example is a plan that gives you all your locals through the cable box. Plus several other cable exclusive channels.

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 666 Contributor

@cpalacio : the channel functions of every cable TV receiver remote that i’ve ever used, are dedicated to the cable TV receiver tuner with no way to control the TV’s tuner and the “Spectrum Remote” (also known as “Spectrum Guide Remote” & of which SR-002 is a model code) is definitely no exception.

• Satch
    edited September 2022

Just to add to this,

Why would anybody want two remotes for OTA and CATV? That doesn't make sense. The idea for modern technology is convenyance and consolidation. People want as few remotes as possible to control their devices. Once you get CATV with a cable box, your cable box and cable box remote becomes your tuner for all of your channels.

But don't discard the remote that comes with your TV! Remember, you will need that to adjust picture and color settings, as well as audio preferences. If you have a Smart TV, you will also need your CATV remote to run the apps.

Spectrum's World Boxes (without a clock) allow direct subscriptions to Netflix (billed through Netflix) and HBO Max (billed through Spectrum) without having to change to your TV manufactures' remote.

Satch

• HT_Greenfield

Satch, we’re not talking about wanting two remotes to do everything but, rather, quite the opposite. We’re talking about switching the TV to antenna (which you CAN do with a CATV remote) and being able to change TV tuner channels (which you CAN’T do with a CATV remote.) We switch to antenna to watch locally broadcast channels that aren’t included in our CATV lineup as well as broadcast TV in general during CATV outages. We can expect most if not all local broadcasters’ primary channels to be in our CATV channel lineup. We can also expect many secondary channels of local broadcasters to also be included but not all secondary channels of all local broadcasters are included in any CATV or satellite TV lineup, anywhere.

• cpalacio

that is correct HT. Plus the new tv I got, has ASTC 3.0 which allows for Next Gen 4k OTA broadcast. Currently in tampa bay there are only 4 next gen channels so far but the results are spectacular. For eg last week I watch the Florida Tennessee football game on CBS Nextgen on 4k and the resolution was noticeably better than spectrums HD CBS channel (which i think is only 1080i resolution.) For large tv the resolution makes a difference.

So my goal is to be able to use next gen ota signals for those 4 channels and spectrum for all other channels and trying to get one remote to control both functions.

Sincerely

• HT_Greenfield
    edited September 2022

My compliments to you cp for the informative heads-up. Not to temper anybody’s expectations or anything but what’s presumably going on in Tampa is pretty typical with the current state of ATSC 3.0 affairs. WMOR-TV is running an ATSC 3.0 “lighthouse,” simulcasting the primary channel of all four major network affiliates (in sub-affiliation, of course) along with their own primary, all as ATSC 3.0 lighthouse subchannels. (Different RF channels, of course but, somehow, the same familiar virtual channel numbers!) ATSC 3.0 4K commercial broadcasting may be coming but it’s not here yet. BUT the ATSC 3.0 simulcasts of WFLA-TV NBC & WTSP CBS & WMOR-TV are 1080p which, itself, could be quite a biggie. It would depend on whether any given program is produced & distributed in 1080p in the first place. Maybe football games on CBS are! But even if the ATSC 3.0 simulcast is a 1080p upconversion from ATSC 1080i (or 720p) i could see where that might still come out looking better after being upconverted to 4K compared to CATV DVB 1080i (or 720p) upconverted to 1080p & then upconverted again to 4K. (To say nothing of the internet-connective user interface features or audio techniques at play with ATSC 3.0.)

• cpalacio

HT this is very good info and now I can verify that your comment is correct. When I looked at the info, it does display 1080p on the NextGen channels.

I guess I will have to continue looking for a solution to my question about finding a one remote solution.

Thanks for your insights.

jas

• HT_Greenfield

Yeah @cpalacio, anything produced & distributed & broadcast in 1080p is going to be a videographic quantum leap above either 720p or 1080i because it's the best of both, combined!

Just curious what brand of TV & what type or model of Spectrum receiver you have & do you have CEC enabled on the TV & is your Spectrum receiver CEC discoverable therein? What i'm driving at, because your TV & thus probably its remote are so advanced, is whether any control of the Spectrum receiver can be added to the TV remote! Presumably such is not unheard of.

• Satch

@HT_Greenfield ,

Very impressed with your technology knowledge! Thank you for sharing!

What about 4K's future on the Spectrum World Boxes and Spectrum Guide? Is that something that would in the future be software dependent? Or hardware dependent? Or a mixture of both?

Even though Spectrum boxes aren't 4K yet, the output resolution on my Samsing Series 8 TV is outstanding! Old movies from the 50's-70's in a lot of cases look like they were made yesterday! And live sports events. It is like the athletes are in the room with you, not even seperated by a screen! Is the Spectrum App 4K?

At the same time, a challenge is represented for the cable boxes and guides designed for older sets.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.