You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

The change in wifi router caused connectivity problems

Options
giddykitty
giddykitty Posts: 4 Spectator

We recently HAD to change our wifi router to the newly offered upgraded one from Spectrum. We were using the old one offering us a 2G & 5G options (one specifically for our TV). Now that the new router is setup and activated properly, my wifi on computer and cellphones cut out all the time. I can’t watch a video in Facebook or Instagram without it cutting out within 10 seconds into each videos and sometimes it refuses to connect at all. Also, many times, the websites don’t want to load at all.

I am VERY upset. I was truly enjoying the setup we had before switching to the new router. We thought Spectrum was much better than this.

please fix this.

Best Answers

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 94 Contributor
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

If you are comfortable with setting up/managing your own standalone router (or getting a friend to do it), you can run your own seperate router.

Even if you have a combo modem/router unit from Spectrum, they can reconfigure it to run as a pass trough modem (no wifi/routing functions). Then you can hook up your own wifi router via ethernet cable (and get the wifi management fee removed from your bill as a result)

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,097 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @giddykitty, welcome to our community!

The new routers still have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi, they just broadcast both under the same network name and use band steering to make sure you are on the best network for your devices current location. Have you tried rebooting the modem and router? Is the problem happening on all devices, even when close to the router?

Answers

• giddykitty
    giddykitty Posts: 4 Spectator
    Options

I really don't want the hassle of installing a router again. The service is spotty using wifi for computer and wifi. I would like Spectrum to figure out what's going on. If I can't get them to do that, I'll see if a new personal router is my last option. It's such a pain because I'm disabled and am not able to leave my house.

This discussion has been closed.