Is an email from spectrum@exchange.spectrum.com legitimate?

Options
tmcon01
tmcon01 Posts: 3 Spectator

The email is concerning the Affordable Connectivity Program. It looks legitimate but the email it comes from doesn't look right to me. It starts out as:

Dear Spectrum Customer,

You are currently receiving a credit of up to $30 per month on your bill from

the federal government’s Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). Unless

Congress and the White House take action soon, the ACP – and your

monthly credit – will end early next year...... (and goes on.)

It then sends you to another website that you supposedly send a letter to the white house. It asks for your name, email, address and phone number.

Best Answer

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,716 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Bionicsweety, @tmcon01, @Keovar

The information requested should be limited to name, phone, email and address, as shown below. Participation is voluntary and you can choose to use the template or you can also send an email or letter by mail directly to your local representative. Your address is needed to forward the email to the correct Representative in Congress.

This email is from a Spectrum managed domain and links directly to pre-written email & was in fact sent by Spectrum.

If you prefer, you can use the provided link directly from spectrum.net rather than the link from the email.

From our website on the Affordable Connectivity Program:

The Affordable Connectivity Program may end in early 2024 unless Congress acts. If you currently receive the ACP benefit, send a pre-written email to your elected representatives urging them to take action and fully fund the program to protect your credit. 

Answers

• tmcon01
    Options

Thanks. I have forwarded the email.

• Cap0119
    Cap0119 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I received this also. It's a prompt to sign a petition. However it uses the letterhead of Spectrum and appears to be a message from the company.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 703 Contributor
    edited November 2023
    Options

Does it hyperlink to the same thing as send a pre-written email does here?

🔗https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/affordable-connectivity-program ↳ ℹ️

• Keovar
    Keovar Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited November 2023
    Options

ALL CAPS urgent action is a red flag.

Exchange.Spectrum seems phishy.

Not following any unknown links.

---------- Forwarded message ---------

Date: Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 2:01 PM

Subject: URGENT: AFFORDABLE CONNECTIVITY PROGRAM FUNDING EXPECTED TO END SOON

To: [Redacted]

URGENT: AFFORDABLE CONNECTIVITY

PROGRAM FUNDING EXPECTED TO END SOONDear Spectrum Customer,

You are currently receiving a credit of up to $30 per month on your bill from

the federal government’s Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). Unless

Congress and the White House take action soon, the ACP – and your

monthly credit – will end early next year. ACT NOW: Help save the Affordable

Connectivity Program and your monthly credit.Contact the White House and your elected representatives in

Washington, D.C. Use the button below to send a pre-written email

to President Biden and your elected representatives urging them to

take action, fully fund the program and protect the credit that you

rely on to stay connected. All you need to do is fill in your contact

information and press send. As a connectivity company, Spectrum is committed to providing fast,

reliable Internet to as many people as possible. We will continue to update

you on the program’s status as we learn more details. 

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to continuing to serve you. 

Sincerely,

Spectrum Support Team Unsubscribe   |   Privacy Policy

©2023 Charter Communications. This message was sent by Charter Communications. Parts of this message may contain promotional information about Charter Communications and its services. Please do not reply to this email as this email address is not monitored.

Charter Communications, 941 Charter Commons Drive, Town Country, St. Louis, MO 63017. 

• Bionicsweety
    Bionicsweety Posts: 1 Spectator
    Options

It ask for personal information to send it to the White House.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,318 Contributor
    Options

I use the Brave Browser,

It warned me that if I go to the site that my information could be tracked. I heeded the warning and did not go to the site.

Satch

• tmcon01
    Options

I am the originator of this question and after seeing the response from James M and him saying this is a valid email I went to the Charter website and clicked on the link there. I sent the letter to the whitehouse/president and the next day received a reply from the whitehouse thanking me for contacting them. This is a real thing.

I personally would like to encourage all of you that are on the AFFORDABLE CONNECTIVITY PROGRAM to send the letter from this email to try and save the [AFFORDABLE CONNECTIVITY PROGRAM]. If you don't trust the email, go to the Charter website (as I did) and do it from there. Internet is getting so expensive along with everything else these days and people like me on a fixed income need programs like this.

Here is a link to Charter website and you can find the link there (as you can see it's at "spectrum.net" the official site of Charter.

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/affordable-connectivity-program

• dino555
    dino555 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

thank you for the time and trouble of writing these emails and going to charter website I signed the potion right away but it never crossed my mind that it could have been a problem of any kind that I would regret signing it for that discount but after reading what you had to say I am glad I read it maybe it will save me trouble in the future in the area of being scammed while on internet.

This discussion has been closed.