Issues with Xumo?

Options
Flip50
Flip50 Posts: 12 Participant
edited March 20 in Community Archive

Xumo is one of the worst moves i`ve made. It buffers a lot, error codes galore & last night it turned off completly. Did it again this morning. Talked to technical department at least twice. Using their router/modem combo. Only streaming live tv at this point. About ready to bail on Spectrum tv & internef. Reading posts, it looks like i'm not alone. Anybody have any fixes they can share?

Best Answers

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 411 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good evening @Flip50 and Welcome to our Community Forums

Thank you for reaching out to us about your concerns with the Xumo box. I am sorry this is happening. Generally if you are seeing buffering while using our streaming services that indicates a signal issue with the internet. Have you attempted to reset your internet equipment yet? This can be done by unplugging the cable line, power line, and removing the battery backup if you have one for both the modem and the router for a solid 3-5 minutes. Can you try this and let us know if it helps out? Also, what error message are you receiving? -Lyn

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,767 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi -

Sorry for any delay. To connect the Xumo by ethernet, you would need a separate ethernet cord, connected to the back of the router (port 1) and then other end connected to the back of the Xumo.

Answers

• Flip50
    Options

I talked to technical support & we went thru resetting the modem & router. I don't have battery backup. I can try again. You haven't addressed why it's shutting down by itself. From reading many posts, this is a pretty common occurance. Codes are xstlp-1035, 4001& 1999. There may be others I didn't document. This is getting very old.

• James_M
    Options

Is the Xumo connected wireless? Do you have another device you can use to test the app, maybe a tablet or smart phone?

• Flip50
    Options

Looking at code xstlp-1999 on my TV screen. I was able to get my phone to pull up what I was watching before the code popped up. Now what?

• Flip50
    Options

FYI- I've had no issues with using the internet on my laptop, ever. No problems when I used to stream Amazon prime. Problems started with Xumo.

• James_M
    Options

What happens if you connect directly to the Xumo using an ethernet cable?

• Flip50
    Options

No can do, the TV, xumo is in another room. I have a cable coming from the wall that went to your cable box. That's it.

• James_M
    Options

Thanks. Looking at the Android stream, there were no errors. The Xumo stream is showing bitrate drops and buffering timeouts. It sounds like the there is either some type of interference occurring within your home, or the proximity of the Xumo to the modem is causing the errors. Since the Spectrum TV app streams live TV as well as on demand, it can be more sensitive than other streaming services. A direct connect with an ethernet cord would rule out the interference issue. You can also try temporarily moving the Xumo and TV closer to the modem for a direct connect, even if just for testing purposes.

Last, there is a chance there is an issue with the modem causing the interference. As an alternative to moving the TV, you can try swapping the modem at a local store and test if the issue improves.

• Flip50
    Options

I can try another modem. Moving the TV, because of size & location is not feasible. I have a modem & tower. Do I need to swap both? My wifi on my tablet works great in the same room as the xumo/tv.

• James_M
    Options

You could swap both, to avoid having to make another trip.

Another option would be to try swapping the Xumo, in case the problem is with the Xumo device. Either way, the bitrate drops points clearly to connectivity issue. Since moving the TV is not an option, If you have addition coax cable around, you can also try moving the modem closer to the TV and then trying the direct connect to the Xumo.

• Flip50
    Options

Question - The cable from outside (internet I assume) goes into my attic. The cable goes into a splitter with two cables coming out on the other side of the splitter. I'm assuming that one goes into my computer room & the other would have the cable signal(?) and come out of the wall behind the TV. If that is the case, I should be able to swap the cables so the internet comes out of the wall behind the TV. Does that make sense? If I was able to do that, would it affect the internet for the laptop?

• Flip50
    Options

FYI - It looks like the cables are going in the direction of the computer & TV rooms.

• James_M
    Options

Sounds like you previously had a traditional cable box going to the TV. The coax from outside carries both the internet and the cable TV signals for traditional DVRs. You should be able to plug the modem into the second coax without needing to swap cables. If the modem does not come online, the you can try swapping the cables, in case the TV cable was disabled when the traditional cable box was removed. If the modem does come online, you should be able to relocate the modem near the TV and connect the Xumo with an ethernet cord (either to test or as a permanent solution). Once the modem and router are connected and back online, all other connectivity, including the laptop, should work the same as before. Best practice is to either label the original configuration or make notes, so you can put everything back, in case it does not work as expected.

One more point, since you have an unused coax (sounds like in the wall) that was previously used for the cable box, that unused coax acts like an antennae and can be causing the interference that is causing the bitrate drops. If swapping cables or moving the modem does not help the issue, you can also try removing the unused coax and if it is causing interference, then the interference should be eliminated. If you remove the extra coax, you should also eliminate the splitter if it is no longer in use.

Let us know how it goes!

• Flip50
    Options

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. If I get things to work by moving the modem & tower behind the TV, I'm thinking of keeping it there as long as by laptop (in the office) doesn't have any problems. Workable? BTW, this is a 2000sf single story house.

• Flip50
    Options

Moved everything behind TV, cable worked. Worked great last night. Problems again today. I'm going to hook up an ethernet cable to Xumo. Right now, there's a cable hooked up between the modem & tower for internet. Is there a separate cable from a ethernet port on tower to Xumo that I need?

• Flip50
    Options

Anybody out there? I need instructions to connect ethernet cable to Xumo box.

• James_M
    Options

(reposting for continuity and flow)

Sorry for any delay. To connect the Xumo by ethernet, you would need a separate ethernet cord, connected to the back of the router (port 1) and then other end connected to the back of the Xumo.

• Flip50
    Options

Got cable and hooked up. Stay tuned. We'll see how it works out. Thanks for the help.

This discussion has been closed.