Experiencing packet loss for the first time in years of having spectrum internet. How to fix?

Options
artorias
artorias Posts: 2 Spectator
edited March 2 in Gaming & Gaming Related

I'm having internet issues, my brother was being disconnected from his games but the speed tests were fine and he had 12 ping. I decided to check on my pc and I was also being disconnected from games. Internet speed tests kept coming out as usual so I did some research and found out it was packet loss. Downloaded pingplotter and I'm getting packet loss in the fourth and eighth rows, 81% in the fourth and about 12%(not getting anymore PL% as I'm typing this out) in the eighth. Watched a video explaining all of this and I can't really do anything about it.. so what do I do?

edit: I'm recording about 60% PL on the eighth row again.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,085 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @artorias, welcome to our community!

If you are only seeing the packet loss on those two hops it is not likely an issue, if any one hop was actually having problems forwarding data we would expect to see the same issue on every hop after it.

Will you please run a basic ping test? To do this on Windows press the Windows key on your keyboard, type "cmd" in the search bar, and press Enter. This will open the Command Prompt. In the Command Prompt window, type "ping -t 8.8.8.8" and press Enter. This command will send continuous ping requests to the IP 8.8.8.8, until you press Control+C to end the test and get your final results. You can replace the 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) with other pingable IPs, multiple command prompts can be opened and running the test simultaneously to see if packets are just dropping to one IP or the entire internet connection. You can leave them running for as long as needed which is helpful for intermittent problems like this, leave them running while gaming to see if you are dropping packets at the same time you have issues in game.

Answers