Why won’t my printer work with new, upgraded router and modem?

Options
DLH6653
DLH6653 Posts: 2 Spectator

We were upgraded to the newest internet and wifi equipment several months ago. Ever since, even though our HP laptop and HP printer are both connected to the same WiFi, when trying to print, the laptop says the printer is “offline” but it’s not. Everything worked fine before we were given the new equipment. HP Support says it must be some setting in the WiFi setup that is getting in the way of them communicating with each other. Have run diagnostics numerous times to no avail. Can anyone help?

Answers

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 674 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hello @DLH6653

Welcome to our community! I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the HP Printer. I took a look at the equipment using your community registration information and it looks like it's showing as connected to the printer on the 5G network, with good signal and minimal interference. Have you attempted to have the printer forget the network and reconnect to it yet?

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 89 Contributor
    Options

Have you tried deleting the printer and re-adding it again?

Something in the network details likely changed when the new network hardware came into play. Basically, it may be trying to communicate via a changed parameter. Without finding it on the right spooler, the right network address, port ID, yada yada--it assumes it is offline.

Removing and re-adding is often the "easier" way of synching things back up again.

I see this happen sometimes at work trying to use the newer communication methods... have switched some back to using the old-school tcpip approach to stop it from happening again.

At home, this is what I do:

In the router's DHCP server, I bind the IPV4 address so it gets reserved there. Then I manually set it in the printer's interface so it is always the same. Manually map the printer to my systems using that now static IPv4 address. Forget the exact wording... but it goes along the line of clicking to add a printer, scroll down for the link about my printer was not found, manually add by IP, configure whether to share it by a friendly name and such, do a test print to confirm it, set as default printer and such as you desire.

No more potential delays/miscommunications trying to get everything to synch up properly during powercycle or waking from sleep and such. The pc/laptop is always looking for the print host at the same simple IP address (not that long alpha numeric address), the host always has that address, and DHCP will never hand that address out to something else because of an expired lease.

I do the same thing for gaming consoles and streaming devices/media servers. Comes handy if I need to set up a manual rule and other stuff--always know what the "hard" addresses are.

• RAIST515O
    Options

Have you tried deleting the printer from the laptop and installing it again?

Some of the saved registration data may no longer be in synch after the network hardware changed, so it is being perceived as offline because it is not answering any requests sent to the previously saved address parameters.

Removal/reinstall is an "easier" way of getting all those bits back in order.

At home, I map mine manually old-school via IPv4 address, not the newer funky webprint approach that registers a long alphanumeric address. Much easier to tell if an IPv4 address and such is correct.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 702 Contributor
    edited March 15
    Options

🔗https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2026537-1681507-16 : HP printer is offline or unavailable ↳ 5️⃣ Advanced troubleshooting ↳ ⨁ Resolve an offline printer (Windows)

• DLH6653
    DLH6653 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

I forgot to mention, we thought maybe the printer went bad so we bought a new one and installed it. But it is doing the same thing. It is the exact same model of printer.

• RAIST515O
    Options

Are you able to ping the IP of the printer?

Or point your web browser to it's IP and get it's web user interface?