Has the Roadrunner email server changed SSL requirements?

Options
yankee10
yankee10 Posts: 4 Spectator

I have been using Eudora 6.1.2.0 for many years and until April, 2024 I have been able to send and receive POP email. I can still receive, but am now unable to send, I get:

"550.5.1.0 <xxxxxr@roadrunner.com> sender rejected. The email address you are sending as must match the email address you used to auth. Please check your SMTP settings. AUP#Out-1500"

My SMTP server has been set to 'smtp-server.socal.rr.com' or 'mail.twc.com'—both of which worked with SSL set to 'never' until this month.

My POP server has been set to 'mail.roadrunner.com'←(that one still works for incoming)

I am running Windows 11.

I have not been using SSL or STARTTLS up until now. Assuming that the server may now be requiring it, I set my Eudora SMTP settings to 'If available, set STARTTLS' and 'allow authentication'. My 'SMTPPORT=' setting was set to blank (default), but I have tried 25, 487, 995. It fails negotiation. The certificate chain is not trusted. It wants me to try adding this certificate to my certificate database for SSL but I don't know that I can do that. Am I hosed or can I still send email from Eudora to my Roadrunner email account? What just changed?

Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,097 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hi @yankee10, welcome to our community!

Please try these email server settings. If changing your settings doesn't help I recommend removing the account from your mail client completely and then setting it back up with those settings.

• diddlydudette
    diddlydudette Posts: 16 Participant
    Options

I had something in my email recently change also. I kept getting a popup saying server not connected when it's always been connected for years before. Something changed and is preventing me from using email. I removed the email and added it back trying to hook up using SSL but it won't allow encryption all of a sudden.

I've used every setting they have givien me and nothing works.

• yankee10
    Options

Yes. We need to know what just changed in the last month. If they changed SSL or TLS version requirements—let us know. My email program is very old and change to the encryption version might not be supportable. Spectrum is a big black box and important changes need to be advertised so we know what we are dealing with. I have always had trouble sending email if I am roving to other areas and using my phone hotspot with my computer. The settings for SMTP server are esoteric knowledge. But now, I can't even send email at home.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,744 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Are you able to access email through Spectrum webmail ?

• yankee10
    Options

Yes. Webmail.roadrunner.com works and I can send email that way.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,744 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited April 26
    Options

Thanks for confirming. If access through webmail is working, then the email is active and working.

We suggest troubleshooting directly with the email client you are using (Eudora / Thunderbird). We will keep this thread open in case any other Thunderbird / Mozilla users have had a similar issue or can offer a solution.

• yankee10
    Options

I HAVE been troubleshooting with Eudora. That is the whole tenor of my question. What about Spectrum has changed in the last month to cause Eudora to stop sending email. I have the same problem with two different systems. Eudora has not changed. Something on the server side has. What is it? My guess is that the server is now mandating SSL or TLS (whereas it did not before) and my version of Eudora is unable to handle the change no matter what setting I throw at it. If I knew what changed on the server, I could determine where I need to target my efforts. I need confirmation on what POP (not IMAP) and SMTP ports numbers need to be set? Is SSL or TLS now mandatory? What incoming and outgoing server URLs need be set (I'm in Lancaster, CA). Something has changed and I'm trying to knock out all the possibilities.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 726 Contributor
    Options

It's not that TWC and then more recently, Spectrum, haven't been at least passively deprecating insecure auth, ports and protocols for years, by now, it's just that once it becomes active on any given server, one thing that's not so obvious with old email programs that have a separate username field is that the username may now need to be the full email address with secure/encrypted password auth enabled.

Try that along with mail.twc.com for both incoming and outgoing. Support for POP3 is by now passive at best but that doesn't mean you can't try to keep on keepin' on with it via port 995. For SMTP, try port 587. In each case, try each SSL or TLS or "SSL/TLS" option available if needs be.

If ever you want or need to upgrade, Mozilla Thunderbird would seem to be the obvious choice:

🔗 https://computerhistory.org/blog/the-eudora-email-client-source-code/ ↳ THE DEMISE OF EUDORA

And here's how you may literally be able to migrate:

🔗 https://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_from_Eudora_-_Thunderbird