Printers do not stay connected to Spectrum WiFi router

Options
Hispeedg8r
Hispeedg8r Posts: 3 Spectator
edited April 30 in Home Networking

I have two WiFi printers, Brother MFC-J9850W and Epson ET-2803, which drop their connection daily from my Spectrum internet service. Both worked fine with AT&T U-Verse but since switching to Spectrum they drop from the network (can’t ping, can’t print, and can’t discover). I can reboot the Spectrum router and they come back online and everything works well immediately afterward. But after some period of idleness during the day, they drop again. Needless to say it’s very irritating to reboot my router daily to be able to print. I have no issues with any other devices - computers, mobile devices, Ring doorbell, thermostats, and even WiFi irrigation system - only the printers. I even borrowed a Canon printer briefly and it had the same behavior. I’ve set IP reservations for the printers and it had no effect. Haven’t found anything that seems to make a difference. I’ve seen numerous postings of printer issues with Spectrum but none seem to conclusively resolve the issue.

Comments

• jbona
    jbona Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 734 Contributor
    Options

Just curious about the extent to which they "drop their connection". When it happens: 1. do the network parameters via the printer's built-in console show it disconnected from the WLAN? 2. does the router no longer show it connected? 3. are you no longer able to pull up the printer's embedded webapp via the browser on the laptop? 4. does it echo when you ping it? 5. does the printer software on the laptop show it disconnected? 6. does power cycling the printer and quitting and relaunching the printer software on the laptop re-establish connectivity between them?

• Hispeedg8r
    Options
    1. No, the printers WiFi indicators still shows as though they’re connected to the WiFi. IP address and all other parameters appear to be normal from the printers’ displays.
    2. Correct, the router doesn’t show them connected. It does show them as devices that were once connected.
    3. No, can’t reach anything on the printer from any computers.
    4. No, says destination can’t be reached.
    5. Yes, it says the printers aren’t connected.
    6. No, only if I power cycle the router.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 734 Contributor
    Options

P.S.: if the firmware, drivers and software are all up to snuff, then all i can figure is that the 802.11 2.4-GHz b/g/n/ax service set of the wireless router is just not backwards compatible enough for those 802.11 2.4-GHz b/g/n printers. First thing i'd try to assuage the idiosyncrasy would be to notch the standard mode of the wireless router 2.4-GHz service set down to b/g/n or, better yet, simply g/n. If you can't do that, then i'd swap out the router with Spectrum, and then, if you get the same results with the swap-out, either upgrade the printer or else replace the router with one of your own that allows you to do that.

• Hispeedg8r
    Options

Yeah firmware is all the latest. As far as buying another printer, not sure what that will gain. I bought the Epson thinking my Brother was old and possibly incompatible only to find out the Epson has the same issue. So it’s kind of a crapshoot in guessing I’d another printer will work. Unfortunately the router provides very limited ability to modify its settings so I can’t adjust anything related to the 2.4GHz settings. Seeing others having related issues but described differently, I don’t suspect changing the router will help. There seems to be a general problem between Spectrum routers and WiFi printers. And I did have my own router briefly when switching from AT&T but it caused connection problems with the TV service.