Replacing Cable Boxes

Charter5Os
Charter5Os Posts: 6 Spectator
edited August 28 in TV Equipment

I had a service issue last night, and the chat I had via Twitter suggested that my cable boxes are old (they are) and that they should be replaced. I tried calling a local Spectrum store directly to confirm that they could do this for me, but that isn't possible as far as I could tell.

So, can I just stop in and get three cable boxes replaced for three newer models?

Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 5,026 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited July 23

Hi & welcome!

Our local stores do not have the ability to take incoming calls and we do not have the ability to view store inventory. You are welcome to stop at a local store and see what they have available in terms of DVR / set top box inventory, but we have no way to see what is available. Scheduling an appointment is not required, but usually recommended.

I was able to locate your information based on your registration and I did locate the conversation on Twitter from yesterday. The issue you reported was a frozen picture on Bally Sports. There was a known issue impacting Bally Sports in your area that was causing freezing and/or a black screen. The issue started about 7:45pm CDT and was resolved at 10:04pm CDT. This issue impacted the single channel only and no other services (including Internet) were impacted.

While your set top boxes are approximately 5 & 6 years old, if they are otherwise working as intending after being restarted, there is probably not a need to exchange them, since the issue you reported identically matches the known issue. The lifespan of a set top box can vary, but greater than 5 years and up to 10 years is not unusual.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

• Charter5Os

Thanks for the response. There's no DVR involved, only the boxes themselves. The suggestion in the conversation last night was that the boxes should be returned/replaced. Since there isn't a local store for me, I'd rather have confirmation that this can be done than to drive there and find out otherwise, thus my hope to talk to someone IN that store.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 5,026 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited July 23

Sorry if there was any confusion or mis-communication. It appears that you asked if they should be swapped (as opposed to suggested to return your cable boxes), and the response was that they are a few years old. You are always welcome to swap equipment, especially if you believe that it is not working as expected. Equipment swaps are usually suggested after basic troubleshooting is completed and if the identified issue is still occurring. During this exchange, the known issue was identified with the channel, and this issue changed the course of troubleshooting.

If you are no longer seeing an issue, then swapping equipment is not necessary. Let us know if you see any other problems or issues with boxes.

In case you decide to swap the equipment, I included a link to our Spectrum Stores Locator. It looks like the closest store is a little over 10 miles or 16 minutes away.

Thanks!

• Charter5Os

That store is closed today. I'm trying to fix a problem that last night I was told might be due to my equipment.

Here's where there's problems with the communications. If you see the communication last night from Twitter, you can see how I was told there's an outage, that it was internet, all sorts of things that went back and forth. I was trying to keep up with the game by watching on my phone, and the tech sent a re-boot command to my router when the problem was with my TV. I'm told that my boxes are old and should be replaced. Now you're saying 'nah'.

It's frustrating.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,558 Contributor
    edited July 24

Good evening all!

Let me try to sort out the confusion and frustration,

Due to me having knowledge of cable TV since 1985, I can tell you that replacing the boxes should be seen as an absolute last resort. Here are reasons why:

1.) If you have DVR service, you will lose all recordings and settings with a new box.

2.) If you exchange your box, you never know what type of box you are going to get, or its previous condition! You may get a different guide and remote.

Boxes should only be replaced (in my opinion) when:

1.) They don't reboot or boot up anymore They get stuck for over an hour on rebooting.

2.) They are constantly rebooting throughout the day/night

3.) Drop lines and signals have been checked out by an on-sight tech, and they are good.

4.) They are burning hot to the touch or make a loud rattling or clicking sound. Boxes need to be in an open area and well ventilated with nothing blocking the vent holes on the top or sides of the box.

)f you have verified one or more of the conditions above this generally equals………………..bad box.

However, note the conditions below. These are 99% of the time, not box related problems:

A.) If you have a loss of picture or sound, freezing picture, pixilatiom on channels, this says…. Bad signals, wiring, or aging drop line…call Spectrum for a signal or drop line test. A tech needs to visit.

Tip: Do not replace your box if it is simply "old" and is working well! Newer does not always mean better, and sometimes it can make things worse. For example, many customers prefer the older remotes over the one that often comes with the new "no clock boxes." Reliability is more important than, "New and cool."

Do you need modern equipment? Maybe, but most likely, service problems are related to signals, bad wiring, or drop line issues are the first line of defense. If you signals, lines, and wiring are old, new boxes, new routers, and new modems won't do a thing to improve service! Techs have to make sure that the lines, wiring, and signal relays are in good ranges first. Only replace equipment if you have problems, and only after you get a tech service call first to see that signals lines and wiring are OK. Techs can fix and update network lines to improve signals, install new wiring, remove splitters, all of these things should be the first line of troubleshooting!

"Don't trouble trouble, til trouble troubles you."

The CSR's on the phone are not techs. They can only provide basic guidance regarding:

1.) Rebooting of equipment

2.) Setting up service calls.

3.) Making changes to services. (Changing CATV packages, adding/swapping/dropping of channels.)

Overnight maintenance can also cause the signal issues like loss of picture and sound or rebooting of equipment. Subscribers should expect this from time to time between the overnight hours of 12am-6PM. Users if they have not done so, should go to my account, and set preferences for being notified of maintenance and system outages.

If this happens during the day, I recommend a wait for a few hours before reporting an issue, especially if only one or two channels are blank, or the program guide doesn't come up on the box, or there is a loss of Internet or phone. Maintenance can occur during the day, although less often than at night. Time has a way of working these issues out on their own.

However, if you are having patters of day after day, night after night issues for a week or more, you should contact Spectrum to report the issue.

Hope this helps!

Satch

• Charter5Os

No DVR.

I received new boxes still still in their shrink wrap. I wouldn't have accepted anything else.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,558 Contributor
    edited July 24

Thanks for the information update @Charter50s,

No DVR boxes.. Have you installed them yet? Why do you feel you need to replace your cable boxes? Review my Box Replacement? or Signal, Wiring, Line Problem? explanations above to proceed in the right direction that meets your needs.

Regards,

Satch

• Charter5Os

I don't have a DVR because I have no interest in one.

Your suggestions were already posted after I had been given direction to replace them. You're right, newer isn't always better. I don't actually think that they were the cause of the problem from the night before as the tech suggested. If these don't work as well as the older ones, they too can be replaced.

This discussion has been closed.