You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Remote Page up/down not working

npatel
npatel Posts: 5

I just got a new remote control from Spectrum to replace my old one.  However, the page up/down keys are not working (they do not do anything when I bring up the cable guide).  The remote is the UR5U-8790L.  My cable box/dvr combo is the Spectrum 201-H.  Any ideas?

Best Answer

• npatel
    Answer ✓

Thanks.  I called tech support and they helped me fix the problem.  It looks like the remote wasn't programmed correctly for the particular box, which seems odd since every other function of the remote worked except the page up/down buttons. They told me to reprogram the remote to the box using the 3-digit code "001" and that solved everything.  

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor

@npatel wrote:

I just got a new remote control from Spectrum to replace my old one.  However, the page up/down keys are not working (they do not do anything when I bring up the cable guide).  The remote is the UR5U-8790L.  My cable box/dvr combo is the Spectrum 201-H.  Any ideas?

Hello,

I have this remote, but I run the ODN guide on the legacy Cisco 9865 box.  One thing to note is that you have the newer box called "The World Box" without a clock that runs the new Spectrum Guide. The most likely explanation is that the Page Up/Down button does not function with the new Spectrum Guide World Box software.  This is especially true if you press the Page Up/Down button, the CABLE light goes on and nothing happens.  You have some choices that may not be the greatest options, but here goes:

1.) You try to get a box with a clock on it- Unfortunately, some offices are only giving out the new World Boxes and aren't giving out the clock boxes anymore.  If you have DVR service and you get a box with a clock on it, your box will only have two recording tuners instead of four on the World Box.  It is almost impossible to get a six-tuner box anymore.  You could call Spectrum and get a tech out, but there is no way of knowing what box or remotes he is going to have on his truck. And if you call, the phone rep might just say, "You can swap out the remote, or order a new remote, but there is no guarantee of what remote you are going to get if you order by phone, or even go to the office,"  It's like drawing from a lottery bin, whatever they have in their inventory.

2.) You go to a Spectrum Store and ask for a new remote that comes with the new World Box- Please note that a lot of customers like the remote that you already have, better. so this second option would be to keep your remote,

3.) You leave everything as it is- If your box is working OK and other buttons on the remote light up when keys are pressed the remote is working fine, and Page Up/Down is not offered on World Box with Spectrum Guide  #3 is my personal recommendation because you never know the condition or type of box you are going to get in an exchange. The same is true for the remote,

Satch

• Satch

@npatel wrote:

Thanks.  I called tech support and they helped me fix the problem.  It looks like the remote wasn't programmed correctly for the particular box, which seems odd since every other function of the remote worked except the page up/down buttons. They told me to reprogram the remote to the box using the 3-digit code "001" and that solved everything.  

Glad that worked!

Listen, can you provide the steps on getting the three digit code "001" to reprogram the remote so that Page Up/Down works on Spectrum Guide?  Not a huge deal, but we do have a ton of customers with that brand of remote.  It is one of the most popular, the Clickr Backlite, and if people had the steps to reprogram the remote with the "OO1 code" they could also get Page Up/down working on a Spectrum Guide World Box.

For reference, this is to reset the UR5U-8790L. remote so that Page Up/Down works.  Thanks in advance!

Satch

• npatel

Sure....

1. On the remote, press the [CBL] button and the [OK/SEL] button simultaneously for 3 seconds, and the [CBL] button's LED will turn solid red.  

2. Point the remote to the cable box and press 001. The cable box should power off.  (If it does not turn off, then you may have a different make/model cable box.)

3. Press the [CBL] button again to store the code on the remote.

4. Press the power button to turn the cable box back on again.

Hopefully everything will work.

• Satch

@npatel wrote:

Sure....

1. On the remote, press the [CBL] button and the [OK/SEL] button simultaneously for 3 seconds, and the [CBL] button's LED will turn solid red.  

2. Point the remote to the cable box and press 001. The cable box should power off.  (If it does not turn off, then you may have a different make/model cable box.)

3. Press the [CBL] button again to store the code on the remote.

4. Press the power button to turn the cable box back on again.

Hopefully everything will work.

Awesome tips to reset your remote!

One thing though is that this may reset your code for your TV on/off functionality.  Maybe it won't, but it is possible that you might have to reprogram the remote for your TV. @npatel  did you have to re-enter your TV on/off codes when you reset your remote?

Satch

• Julia_R
    Julia_R Posts: 4,661 Contributor

To reprogam your remote you can also check out  the Spectrum.net  

Identify and Program Your Remote

Julia 

• npatel

@Julia_R , unfortunately, that page on the SPectrum website was unhelpful because it does not contain the 3-digit code for the Spectrum 201-H cable box.  Nor does the manual that came with the remote.  They have the three digit code for many of other manufacturers and devices, but not the very box I have that was supplied by Spectrum.  That's why I had to call tech support.

• npatel

@Satch , no it will not affect the TV.  When you press [CBL] and [OK/Select] at the same time, it only reprograms the remote for the cable box.  If you want to reprogram the remote for the TV, you would press [TV] and [OK/Select] at the same time, and then enter whatever code is applicable for your TV manufacturer.

Hope that helps

• Julia_R
    Julia_R Posts: 4,661 Contributor

I'm sorry about that. I do see the Spectrum Guide remote but not seeing that code listed.

Looks like we have specific numbers for popular brands and then 5 digit codes also but I am not seeing any 3 digit.

I'm glad they were able to get that working for you! 

Julia 

This discussion has been closed.