You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why is the Spectrum App blocked on Firestick and Fire TV?

jeccleston
jeccleston Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am an Amazon customer and a Spectrum customer. I do not want to use Roku. I cannot understand why Spectrum would align with only one streaming device for TV. ....and no, I do not want to watch Spectrum only on a phone or tablet. I want to be able to watch on my full size TV using Firestick or FireTV. This is a big frustration!

Answers

• Julia_R
    Julia_R Posts: 4,661 Contributor
    edited August 2020

@jeccleston thank you for your feedback on this. We have quite a few devices that are support the app, not just Roku or phone and tablet.

You can check out the other devices here: http://bit.ly/2B5cvUb

While Amazon is listed the Fire TV and Fire Stick are not included. You can check out information on

Casting/Mirroring towards the bottom of this page: Explore Spectrum TV

Julia_R

• This very upsetting. All four tvs in our house use a firestick. Should have been made clear up front that this isn't supported. Now Ive spent 1.5 hrs waiting on chat only to get cut off, now holding on the phone for 30 min so far.

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor
    edited September 2020

Well, in all fairness, they are pretty specific about the supported devices, and give details about each of them. They don't list support for the firesticks at all... only the Amazon branded tablets, excluding the first generation (first gen Roku are excluded as well):

APPLE device requirements: iPad®, iPad® mini, iPhone® and iPod Touch® running iOS 12.0 or higher. KINDLE FIRE tablet requirements: All Kindle Fire models, including Kindle Fire HDX, are supported, except first-generation Kindle Fire.

ANDROID device requirements: All tablets and phones running Android 5.0 or higher. Roku device requirements: All Roku players and TVs (excluding first-generation). 

Xbox One requirements: All Xbox One models are supported.

Samsung Smart TV requirements: TV model years 2012 and newer are supported. Charter-authorized modem is required to stream on Roku, Xbox One and Samsung Smart TV.

Even stricter requirements are noted in the guides:

Top reviews for the app (dated 2018) even clearly note that it does not work on Fire TV/Firesticks:

The writing was kinda "on the wall" ....

• rdunc44
    rdunc44 Posts: 1 Newcomer

You can chromecast, I have a chromecast ultra on one of my tv's and I am able to cast spectrum tv app from computer, iphone and chromebook.

• dstoffa
    dstoffa Posts: 1,014 Contributor

It's a bit more complicated. The roadblock may not even be Spectrum's problem, but a problem belonging to the manufacturer of the device. Amazon may be electing to not lisence a Spectrum app because they are a content re-seller of their own (in way of Amazon Prime Video, payTV subs, etc.), and don't want to help the competition (i.e. - a payTV provider) by effectively being the entity which helps their competition.

I am not saying it's the issue here, but I've seen this issue on other platforms, where the maker of the device owns the guts / software of the device, and wants a piece of the action to allow a third party to use their device to display content. Why build a bridge to allow people to cross if you can't charge a toll?

This discussion has been closed.