You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Google Chrome Buffering -- Fixes offered

W9JYD
W9JYD Posts: 1 Newcomer

This isn't really a question but some tips to help others because Google Chrome (version 86.0.4240.111) is the default browser on my computer (Win 10 ver 1909, build 18363.1139), both 64-bit, and I was experiencing serious buffering issues (some channels will repeat the last 5 or so seconds without my interaction), or just plain buffering. Somehow, a tense Google search led me to try the following fixes, which helped me immensely:

First, copy and paste this into a new tab (CTRL-T): chrome://flags (ENTER/RETURN)

Then, search for "quic" and DISABLE the "Experimental QUIC Protocol". Also, disable "Hardware-accelerated video decode". Relaunch Chrome when prompted.

Close Chrome. Kill it in Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-ESC) if necessary.

On your Desktop, right-click your Chrome shortcut and select "Properties".

(I got this next tip from Stack Overflow, https://stackoverflow.com/a/63972999 which helped me, but is not my post on Stack Overflow)

In the "Target" line (it should begin with "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\chrome.exe", with the quotes included, see attached screenshot), add this to THE END of the line:

--disable-frame-rate-limit  --disable-gpu-vsync --max-gum-fps="9999" 

Click "Apply" then "OK". Now launch Chrome and go type https://watch.spectrum.net and the buffering should be nonexistent.

I know this may be a complicated workaround, but I'd thought I'd offer my way because if you don't want to use a different browser and your router is A-OK and not the issue, usually it's Chrome's fault and not the router.

Bottom line, Spectrum kicks butt (am I allowed to say that?) because switching from DirecTV to Spectrum, I'd say I made a wise choice. No more slow Internet (U-Verse doesn't hold a candle to Spectrum's amazing speed) or Error 771s (Signal Lost if you ever used DirecTV) because it is drizzling outside.

So, as my first post, I thought it would be a good idea to offer some solutions to buffering of Watch.Spectrum.Net on Google Chrome. It's a Google problem, NOT a Charter/Spectrum problem, and I thought to offer my help. It's the Ham Radio Way! (That's what the "W9JYD" means. I'm a licensed ham operator.)

And thanks Spectrum for AWESOME service.

Comments

• Julia_R
    Julia_R Posts: 4,661 Contributor

@W9JYD Welcome to the Spectrum Community!

Thanks for joining us and for the great info! Hope to see you soon!

Julia_R