You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Issue with SMTP from Thunderbird

Ricmusician
Ricmusician Posts: 3 Spectator

I get the following error when trying to send email from Thunderbird using my Spectrum email account (from the cfl.rr.com domain); this started yesterday. I called and spoke to 2 different Spectrum support people who did not seem to understand what the problem is.

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  p-impout006.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp 94.198.xx.xx blocked. Please see https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/understanding-email-error-codes for more information. AUP#Out-1130.

I looked up the error code and it states that the IP address I'm sending from has an issue with DNS; the IP address I'm using is a Spectrum IP address and I'm not using a VPN. It also states that if the IP address is a Spectrum-provided email address to contact support. Well I contacted support and they don't have a clue what's wrong. Clearly this is an issue on the Spectrum side.

Best Answer

• Ricmusician
    Answer ✓

It's a moot point now; the day after I posted this it started working; no configuration changes on my end. The original issue was not with POP it was with SMTP, but thanks anyway.

Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,611 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Do you get an error when you try to send the email from Spectrum Webmail?

• Ricmusician
    edited January 2021

No but why is my SMTP traffic being routed through 94.198.xx.xx? My POP3 traffic is fine, meaning I can receive email in Thunderbird, I just can't send.

• Julia_R
    Julia_R Posts: 4,661 Contributor

What do you have in for your SMTP server? Wondering why you are still using POP?

Can you send email through Thunderbird when not on your home network?

Julia_R

• ddeerrff
    ddeerrff Posts: 154 Contributor

Julia, not to hijack the thread, but has Spectrum updated their email server software? Last I knew, Thunderbird and your mail server had a conflict when trying to use imap. Don't recall the exact details, but Thunderbird adheres strickly to a standard that your older email server software does not, and it results in incoming mail not being seen in the inbox. POP3 still works fine.

• AgainToo
    AgainToo Posts: 28 Contributor

@ddeerrff I use Thunderbird with IMAP with no problems, and have been for several years now.

incoming: mail.twc.com; port 993; SSL/TLS; normal password; username is email address

outgoing: mail.twc.com; port 587; STARTTLS; normal password; username is email address

I don't know if that will help you or not, but I thought I would post it anyway.

• ddeerrff
    ddeerrff Posts: 154 Contributor
    edited January 2021

Look here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3058265&start=20 , just part of my search for answers a year and a half ago. Unless it has been updated, the Spectrum IMAP server is not RFC-3501 compliant. Maybe it has been updated, or maybe Thunderbird has been modified to send the redundant 'Fetch' command. Anyway, last time I tried to set up an IMAP account on Spectrum using Thunderbird, new emails were not being seen by TB. Went back to POP3 and all is well. Not sure I want to waste my time trying IMAP again.

• Dawter
    Dawter Posts: 21 Contributor

WHEN will they fix this? Sometimes I can send emails, sometimes I get this message:

January 25 2021-

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  p-impout008.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp 154.21.28.44 blocked. Please see https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/understanding-email-error-codes for more information. AUP#Out-1130.

Then it takes me in circles.......*sigh*

This discussion has been closed.