You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Spectrum Mobile WiFi autoconnect

fpefpe
fpefpe Posts: 28 Contributor
edited September 2022 in Spectrum Archives: 2020 - Present

I was out and need to connect to the internet, and found the “Spectrum WiFi” hotspot, but could not connect — I did not remember my userid and password to connect. I have the Spectrum mobile app and there was an item in “support section” to “Connect to Spectrum WiFi HotSpots” — it then directed me to download / install “My Spectrum” app and then enable “Spectrum Mobile WiFi autoconnect” which I tried to do, but the help doc images did not match what I was seeing on the phone. I called the support number and for the better part of 30 minutes I was getting nowhere. I wonder sometime if I know more than the support agents on the other end of the call. 

Getting nowhere, I when to the Spectrum store nearby.  I showed the agent the inconsistent help screens and the screens on the phone, but while I was in the building my phone connected to “Spectrum WiFi Plus” (see attached phone). The agent in the store was not clear what this network was, just that the “hotspots” are named “SpectrumWiFi” Since the comment about the network was “Connected by Spectrum Mobile” it's not clear if using this network counts as data usage. 

I tried again calling the support number to find out about “Spectrum WiFi Plus” That agent had no clue what I was talking about it was like I was speaking in Klingon. I was connected to another agent and that was no better. Again, on the line for around 30 minutes and all the agent was doing was reading help files. So, does anyone in the community know what “Spectrum WiFi Plus” is?  

Lastly is there a way to call support and speak to a “next lever” support agent? Thanks 

Answers

• Tyleen_Z
    Tyleen_Z Posts: 660 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello, I apologize for any confusion. You can go here to get full information about the public wifi hot spots available to you at no charge.

The only thing that counts as data usage is if you are using a cell network. If you are using a wifi network of any kind it does not count against your data usage.

-Tyleen

• fpefpe

Thanks for your reply and confirming that data usage is just using the cell network

I must have installed/uninstalled/installed the “my spectrum” app a half a dozen times now.

I followed the noted links and got to the page: 

My Spectrum App: Installing the Secure Profile for SpectrumWiFi Plus

I followed the section: 

Install on Android Devices

To install a secure profile on your Android device: (pixel is an android device?) 

Open the My Spectrum app and sign in if necessary.

Select Account.

Select Install Spectrum WiFi Profile.

Follow the prompts.

But if I could post a screen shot (the app would not let me make one) no place in the “account” section is there the option 

Select Install Spectrum WiFi Profile.

So how is this profile installed?  

Most of the info in the “account” section/screen is personal info, so maybe I can block it out and take a photo of it ---- any suggestions? Thanks again for your reply 

• fpefpe

here is a photo of the only "setting" that I can access via the "my spectrum" app on the phone

• Paul_B
    Paul_B Posts: 577 Spectrum Employee

Thank you for following up with us. The Spectrum WiFi profile is installed from the My Spectrum app. To do this, you would install the My Spectrum app from the Google Play Store. Once it is installed and you log in, right on the main screen should be a button that says "Install Spectrum WiFi profile".

If you still have any problems with getting connected to this, please let us know and we can can continue to assist.

• fpefpe

Hello — thanks for your reply — as noted in my past posted I have installed “my spectrum” app numinous times (from the google store)  If you are calling the “main screen” the “home screen” there is NO TEXT OR BUTTON anywhere that says 

Install Spectrum WiFi profile

If I could I would post a screen shot but the my spectrum app does not allow one to take a screen shot — any other suggestions”  

• Julia_R
    Julia_R Posts: 4,661 Contributor

Hello! I have seen several reports of that option not being available. Can you provide us with some information about your device? What OS are you using and the make/model ?

We can look into this further.

Julia_R

• fpefpe

Hello --- yes, it is a (google) pixel5, so I guess that OS is Android --- the version of "my spectrum app" is 9.13.0

This discussion has been closed.