You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Changed out Modem but new modem ethernet port says 2.4ghz

lirons
lirons Posts: 2 Spectator

I changed out my Modem recently and the ethernet port indicates it is 2.4ghz. I wanted to run a 2.4ghz and 5ghz network through my wifi router with an SSID for each. I tried setting up both and had problems maintaining connection on the 5ghz network. Do Spectrum modems support both even though the ethernet port indicates only 2,4ghz?

Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,607 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi and welcome!

Generally speaking, the ideal configuration is to use the same SSID and password for both 2.4 and 5Ghz, so that compatible devices can toggle between the two, selecting the optimal signal. Which modem are you currently using and what is the model of the router you are using? What device are you trying to connect that is not maintaining a connection?

• lirons
    lirons Posts: 2 Spectator

Thanks James.. The modem really does not have a brand name on it. Its model is ET2251 and from a google search that seems to mean it is produced by Technicolor.

I have two routers. One is an ASUS RT-AX3000 (supports 2.5 and 5ghz networks) and an older Lynksys EA7300.

The ASUS router is the one I tried to set up multiple networks using. The devices connected to the 5ghz network were unable to maintain a solid connection. That is why I asked about the ethernet port indicating it is 2.5ghz (sorry for initially typing 2.4).

I just went back to using the Linksys router which still works overall but has trouble intermittently.

• Anthony_V
    Anthony_V Posts: 76 Spectrum Employee

Any router can be connected to the modem we provide for services, the modem would not determine what wifi networks are supported this is all determined by the router you are using. Checking the modem you are supplied with the 2.5G you are seeing is not referring to the wifi networks but the connection speed of that Ethernet port.

• Anthony
This discussion has been closed.