You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Porting issues from T-Mobile to Spectrum

Randy__2
Randy__2 Posts: 6 Participant

I have been trying for three weeks to port over my phone from T-Mobile to Spectrum. Both Spectrum and T-Mobile blame each other. About a week ago a technical person from Spectrum deleted duplicate porting requests (both of which were from Spectrum, not from me), which had apparently been one of the issues, and he resubmitted the request. He said that it should be good to go in about 24 hours, and that I should get a call back in about 24-48 hours. Neither of these happened. The guy at the local Spectrum store later tried again to port over my phone, and still received an error message. I called Spectrum support again today, and I was told that they were still working on it, and that I would be contacted when they get it resolved. They could not give me a time frame. After making numerous trips over the last three weeks to the local Spectrum store and spending many, many hours there, the local guy has basically given up and is waiting for further information from technical support as to how to proceed.

I have been with Sprint/T-Mobile and have had the same phone number since 1998. My wife's phone (which is only one number different from mine, is the same type of phone, and was also started at the same and place in 1998) was ported with difficulty after about a week. I have now been waiting for three weeks. I am now paying two bills (both with T-Mobile and with Spectrum). I no longer have confidence that this issue will actually ever be resolved. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Do I need to contact the Federal Communications Commission since both companies blame the other?

Best Answer

• Randy__2
    Answer ✓

After almost two months, my phone has been successfully ported over. Thank you!

Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,067 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @Randy__2 ! Welcome to our community! Very sorry to hear about the trouble getting your phone number ported. Unfortunately we would not be able to assist with ports here in the community nor do we have access to newer mobile accounts to review notes and understand what the hold up is.

You can view information on porting in your phone number with the following link; Transfer Your Phone Number. The most common reasons for a failed port is either the account with the previous phone provider is cancelled/has a scheduled change of service/is not in good standing, or because information entered during the port request (such as account number, pin, name, SSN, billing address) does not match the previous providers records.

I recommend contacting T-Mobile to verify your account is active, in good standing, with no scheduled changes, and to verify the correct spelling of all information they have on file for you and the correct pin/full account number, and then calling our mobile support team again at 1-833-224-6603​​​​​ with that information.

• Randy__2

Thanks!

• William_M

You're welcome!

• Randy__2

Well, a lot has happened (or not) since February 18th--and, indeed, since my journey started on January 28th when I first walked into a Spectrum store to attempt to port over my phone number to Spectrum. I took your advice and contacted T-Mobile to get all of the information verified. I then took that information to our local Spectrum store. They still could not get my phone ported over. They decided to start again from scratch. They gave me a new ticket number (my second). They told me that they would send me a new SIM card in the mail. After weeks of waiting, no new SIM card has arrived.

Today I contacted Spectrum support again. They said that they could not locate the second ticket number. They said that my first ticket number (from over a month ago) was still active and was "pending". I was told the same thing over a month ago.

After dealing with perhaps a dozen different Spectrum representatives, spending numerous hours and many days in the local Spectrum office, and a very great deal of wasted time on hold with Spectrum Support with no resolution in sight, it is patently obvious that Spectrum is not capable of porting over my phone number. In the meantime I have been paying on accounts both with T-Mobile and with Spectrum. My only option to keep my old phone number is to cancel our Spectrum account and return to T-Mobile. That I will do.

However, I will also file a complaint with both the Federal Communications Commission and with the Better Business Bureau. I cannot get the last two months of my life back, but perhaps I can keep others from traveling down this frustrating and fruitless road.

• William_M

Hi @Randy__2, sorry to hear you are still having trouble getting your number ported. I'd like to escalate this issue to our mobile team. I am going to send you a private message from our @Community_Help handle to verify your account information so that we can get to the bottom of this.

• Randy__2

Thanks. Will do.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,684 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited March 2022

@Randy__2 wrote:

After almost two months, my phone has been successfully ported over. Thank you!

Our apologies that it took so long, but we are glad to hear that the issue is resolved and that your number has been successfully ported.

Thanks for the update and let us know if we can assist in the future!

• Prior808
    Prior808 Posts: 1 Newcomer

We are having the exact same issue as above trying to transfer our T-Mobile to spectrum. Going on 3 weeks now. We have been unsuccessful and have visited t-mobile and spectrum several times and both claim it is the other carriers issue. How can we resolve this?

• Randy__2

We had no success until we reached Level 3 in Spectrum technical support. Even then, it was not automatic. Although it appears that Spectrum may have made some mistakes initially, the primary culprit in the difficulty turned out to be T-Mobile not releasing the number (even though there were no past due bills or any other problems). Spectrum was very helpful at Level 3 and said that they could handle just about any kind of problem. I would suggest that, until you get to Level 3 support, you may not be successful in porting your number.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,684 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

@Prior808

Hi and welcome!

Have you also tried calling Spectrum Mobile directly? We are somewhat limited in our ability to support mobile on this Community, but if you need help direct assistance with the issue, please start a new post so we can gather some additional information.

This discussion has been closed.